Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   The Million Can March! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/3520-million-can-march.html)

longride 04-22-2006 03:38 AM

Re: The Million Can March!

How about we all start driving more fuel efficient cars, and only drive when necessary. I bet that action will do more.

fastoldman 04-22-2006 03:45 AM

Jesus H!

Once again, I'm in agreement with the forces of evil. I think I feel fine, but something must surely be wrong with me.

Unfortunately, dmorga1, the history of US government is almost completely one of funneling the wealth of the many to the few. Usually there is some nice window dressing to make it sound like robbing the poor is good for good al' Amurikan freedom, or some other lie, but the fact is that our gov't is and has always been just a funnel. In this case, as in many others in recent history, that means the oil companies, and there really is no reason to think applying to one's captors for relief will get it done. All we can do is personally try and wean ourselves, and, my favorite, vote for ANYONE not in office right now. Until we disentangle ALL the connections between money and politics, we are ****ed. End of story. And the most efficient way of achieving this disentanglement is to kick every single incumbent out. Which won't happen, because Americans are too apathetic and refuse to see what's happening in front of them. Next thing you know, we'll probably be dropping nukes on Iran, and the drooling masses will just scream for more blood, rather than seeing their complicity in our national suicide.

MadScientistMatt 04-22-2006 04:34 AM

But if nobody bought Exxon's gas, no other company would need to compete - they'd raise their prices instead. And if Exxon couldn't sell their gas at profitable prices to consumers, they'd just sell it to the other gas stations and you'd never know.

Casey_Daniel 04-22-2006 04:37 AM

What are you guys *****ing about? Think about how accepted motorcycle riders will be when more people start realizing that motorcycles are a viable means of transportation. If the general public was that concerned about gas prices they wouldn't be buying SUV's that get 15 mpg or less. Sure I have a gas guzzling truck myself but I try to only drive it when I need it as a truck.

mikenomad 04-22-2006 04:56 AM

The gas-guzzling Honda Civic only gets 32 mpg, so I'll have to take the bike (40 mpg) with the gas can strapped to the pillion.

ofreen 04-22-2006 05:00 AM

Whether or not gas prices are in line with what they ought to be becomes beside the point to most people if they think they are being gouged. It certainly looks like we are. People don't like being taken advantage of. If somebody is paying 7 bucks a gallon somewhere else, it just means they are being gouged worse, that's all. The problem with a big increase in fuel prices over a short period is that it causes the price of just about everything else to go up. We can say let market forces set the price, but we have a situation where a relatively small group of guys that are already outrageously rich are raking off even more. That angers people at a fundamental level. The question is whether people will get angry enough to cut down the number of daily trips out the driveway. We'll see, but so far the signal people are sending is that prices can go higher and the oil companies are going to see what the traffic can bear.

mikenomad 04-22-2006 05:02 AM

I don't actually expect anyone to do anything but continue griping.

The average American will put $100 worth of gas in his Chevy 3500 crew-cab dualie, climb into it (alone) and drive to work.

The_AirHawk 04-22-2006 05:09 AM

In the UK and EU, VAT is the equivalent of ~60% of that $7.00/gal.

ksquid 04-22-2006 05:10 AM

LOL good comeback.. longride always restorts to personal attacks..

ksquid 04-22-2006 05:12 AM

Excellent Post

Excellent Post. You nailed it..