Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-18-2006, 05:58 AM   #31
Ninjeff
Founding Member

Default Re: Revolutionary development

BEHOLD the power of CHEESE.....

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2006, 06:31 AM   #32
KillerKowalski
Founding Member

Default Re: UPDATE: Counter-Rotating Disc Successfully Tested At Jennings

One of the videos clearly shows it counter-rotating.

http://www.reverserotatingrotors.com/1sttest.html
KillerKowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:07 AM   #33
Casey_Daniel
Founding Member

Okay Killa you got me there. I still don't see how two gyroscopic forces counter act each other.
Casey_Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 11:32 AM   #34
Ken_Eusaukmeov
Founding Member

the precession force in a gyro doesnt just simply resist being tilted. The gyro translates that force into tilting it in the axis 90 degrees to the tilting axis in the plane that cuts the circle in half- like cutting a pie. (it'll help to draw a picture). since the wheels on a bike are fixed in that direction, the wheels cant rotate that way and are percieved by the rider only to hold the bike up. if you have another gyro on the same axle going the opposite direction, there is now an equal force acting in the opposite direction. THe forces cancel each other out in relation to the whole system. (sorta like 2 people in a tug of war- the rope and people aren't going anywhere.) The axle is still feeling the force of the 2 gyros trying to bend it in half (much like the rope in a tug of war). But the entire system doesn't experience any gyro force.

I had to do a gyrp lab in an undergrad class while getting my mechanical engineering degree.
Ken_Eusaukmeov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:09 PM   #35
Casey_Daniel
Founding Member

I can see that while everything is spinning on the same plane but when you change the direction you still have to change the directon of those now two masses.
Casey_Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:34 AM   #36
JoeBlade
Founding Member

Default Re: UPDATE: This is a fantastic idea...

I think many MOFOs are missing the point here. This could be an easily tunable system, how much force do you want to initiate a certain degree of lean angle? Then simply adjust the gearing or rotor mass to suit?

Race teams could have alot of fun tuning this to their riders desire. Depending on the track they might use a variety of hub and gear ratios. I know I'd like it at the kink on the back straight at Barber.

All this from a simple set of planetary gears. I think it's a brilliantly simple mechanical system that could have massive effects on the industry.

With massively lighter steering forces you could then also play with rake trail and tune those to values currently outside the scope of useability.

The only real question is wether the energy burned by a heavier wheel and accelarating the discs is made up for by the handling advantage.

On MotoGP bikes that already have more power than they can use it may be well worth it! Slower track riders (like most of us) who really can't use all the power of a modern 1000 could also benefit from the handling advantage and gain speed easily. Whether a top flight 600 rider supersport rider would get an advantage might be open to discussion.
JoeBlade is offline   Reply With Quote