Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-05-2006, 05:19 PM   #51
sprchkn
Registered Member

Default Re: Repeal of Motorcycle Helmet Law Gets Preliminary Approval in House.

I hear this a lot and yet I wonder why we don't have people petitioning about seat belts or other mandatory safety devices on cars?

I personally think it's insane not to wear a helmet no matter how short a trip you're on. But still, I think the law's time would be better spent enforcing other laws, like making sure people use their blinkers, don't run lights, and yield instead of trying to run you over when they think you should be going faster (for a start). All these things have an effect on the people around them, while the unhelmeted motorcyclist, if uninsured, at most will just cost us money (still bad, but at least he doesn't kill anyone).
sprchkn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2006, 05:24 PM   #52
robodoc
Founding Member

I am an ER Doc...you don't even want to see when a stone hits a head at 80mph. Bouncing down the road without full protection is death or morbidity in a number of ways.

great number of deaths are by blunt trauma..sudden forces againt the chest, tearing the Aorta. The only way to really be safe is not to ride...or bicycle....or ski.....or drive a car......

oh yeah....half helmets are almost none at all. spend a day at a brain injury unit of a hospital. Since 50% of all iraq war wounded have serious brain injury....you'll have a lot of company to drool with.

robodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:27 PM   #53
Logan01
Founding Member

No, because what I feel to be dangerous will not be the same as everyone else.

Some people see running 25 mph curves at 50-60 mph as stupid, while I think anyone riding at 65 mph in traffic without a helmet is. It's the same in everything, which is why the freedom of choice over our own bodies is something that should be left to the individual.

The same arguement used by our fellow bikers about helmets reminds me a lot of the ones used by cage drivers against motorcyclists.

Logan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:40 PM   #54
drthompson65
Founding Member

I agree.. I wear one 100% of the time.. saved my life once and I never get on a bike without one..
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:58 PM   #55
sprchkn
Registered Member

I'm thinking state, as in Medicare, Medicaid, etc. Just because you smoke, doesn't mean you'll die early enough to matter. Some of these people do live, and they do cost more money for things like emphysema and pulmanary disease. Hell, my great-grandpa lived to 95 and he smoked his pipe until the day he died (of course he was quite rich, so he was spending his own money).

_rant_

The difference to me between the two is that when you smoke, I have to breath it. If I'm out on the road and you're smoking in your car, there's nothing I can do. If I'm at an intersection, I have to breath that smoke until the light changes. If I'm in a line of cars, I have to breath the smoke from that cigarette hanging out your window. Maybe your nostrils are all burnt out and you don't believe I can smell it three blocks back, but unfortunately it's true. And unfortunately I'm allergic to cigarette smoke, which then means I get to spend the next ten miles congested and coughing. However the long-term harm in this instance is probably nil compared to the air I'm breathing near the highway anyway, but still... And let's not even get started with the smokers that think it's just fine to stand right next to the door so that people have to walk through your smoke to get into a building. Thanks. But that's just a courtesy thing and I could say it about a lot of things people do. But hey, we've got the freedom and the right, and courtesy just intrudes upon our rights, right? But really, I digress...

_/rant_

Now the guy without the helmet? Maybe it is propaganda, maybe not. Can you provide any studies showing what you say is true, or are you just speculating? I figure if the guy dies and he's not already retired he's still paying into the system. Regardless, if a person dies, even if they aren't retired, "survivors" can still get payments for what that person put in. It's part of the Social Security program (don't believe me: http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10084.html). And retirement generally goes somewhere, it doesn't just disappear, so all that money still gets used and the state still ends up paying it out. Now I can't say how many motorcyclists, with or without helmets, get crippled to the point that they require supplemental government aid for their injuries and how long and how much they receive those benefits in each group, because I don't know of any such studies. But if you can supply a link, I'd be willing to read it.

Old 04-05-2006, 06:06 PM   #56
sprchkn
Registered Member

Really? So having kids shouldnÂ’t be a personal choice either the cost of their schooling is a burden to the whole tax paying community too Â… right Einstein?

Well, is it a burden teaching our youth? I mean, who will be paying my Social Security benefits when I retire if everyone is working at McDonald's for minimum wage? (Yes, I know SS will be bankrupt by the time I retire, but nonetheless). Not to mention, we'll need those young people to take care of us when we're old and senile or if we're lucky just when we get sick.

And besides, I really think you meant to say "Really? So having 10 kids shouldnÂ’t be a personal choice either the cost of their schooling is a burden to the whole tax paying community too Â… right Einstein?"
Old 04-05-2006, 06:15 PM   #57
Tigercub
Founding Member

guns don't kill people...bullets do.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:22 PM   #58
sprchkn
Registered Member

I guess if I rode like a **** I would want to wear a helmet too ...</p>

Hey, now I know why you don't wave at me on the street. It's all because I choose to wear a helmet and ride a Kawasaki... I guess it doesn't matter that I'm going the speedlimit and obeying the laws. But I guess the only reason I'd ever want to wear a helmet (not to mention gear) is if I rode like a ****, which clearly means "irresponsibly" and to "cause danger".</p>

Sure, I could make broad generalizations about American bike riders, but I choose to spend my time making fun of the cagers. Besides, around here, a lot of riders of all types don't like to wear helmets. I can hardly pick on any specific group now can I?</p>
Old 04-05-2006, 06:27 PM   #59
sprchkn
Registered Member

I think it's just our reaction to the bullets.

And I think the term for that is inertia.

We should definitely blame the scientists.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:36 PM   #60
sprchkn
Registered Member

In the US we have over 40,000 motor vehicle fatalities a year. You think if the EPA can pass a law that can fine you $10000 per day for changing your exhaust, that the government cannot pass laws to place horsepower restrictions or limit top speeds?</p>

So what happens when it's windy? Do we all get to drive 45MPH like one of my highschool classmates did in his VW Bug? Or maybe, we should have laws and consequences that reflect the seriousness of piloting a vehicle down the highway. Aggressive, irresponsible, and inattentive behavior on the highway just isn't adequately policed, and on the rare occasion that it is, it's really just a slap on the wrist.</p>