Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-05-2006, 12:16 PM   #21
Tadgh
Registered Member

Default Re: Repeal of Motorcycle Helmet Law Gets Preliminary Approval in House.

this would be true except for one thing....even if you are riding in a responsible manner you may have an accident and crack your skull on the road due to no fault of your own....and i may break speed limits and never hit the deck...

not being from the us ..are there states with no car seat belt laws ?
Tadgh is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2006, 12:18 PM   #22
Tadgh
Registered Member

Default Re: non-helmet riders: just get over it

it was proposed ..never happened

Tadgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:38 PM   #23
bigdx
Founding Member

Not wanting to into a he-said she-said exchange, I bet your local insurance agent and troop office will disagree with you.

My brother in law is a state trooper and during summer months he frequently has to scrape rice off the road. The sad thing is innocent folks are sometimes involved.

The idea that 190mph motorcycle are sold when the speed limits are 65 is somewhat mind boggling. I cannot imagine it will be long before we get legislation to reduce horsepower level on bikes.
bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:41 PM   #24
bigdx
Founding Member

I am not sure if seatbelts are mandatory in all states. Where I stay they are, but you may not get pulled over for not wearing. You may only be sited for it when you are pulled over for something else.

"and i may break speed limits and never hit the deck"

True, but you may break speed limits and kill an innocent bystander. If I crack my skull I will be cracking my own skull. My choice, my pain.

Old 04-05-2006, 12:44 PM   #25
rapier
Founding Member

Be carefull what you wish for. Sooner or later, probably a bit sooner because of helmet law repeals, health insurance is going to stop coverage of "dangerous activities". Forget the sematics of what is dangerous, motorcycling will be on the top of the list.

Check out how much $5000 of medical coverage is with your insurance company then get ready to take up bicycling.
rapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:47 PM   #26
vcs700s
Founding Member

So does that mean there will soon be legislation to reduce horsepower on cars that can go over 200mph? Then we will have to drive vehicles that can just make it to the speed limit safely, or maybe a little over?

Get real!
vcs700s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:27 PM   #27
bigdx
Founding Member

You get real sunshine.

In the US we have over 40,000 motor vehicle fatalities a year. You think if the EPA can pass a law that can fine you $10000 per day for changing your exhaust, that the government cannot pass laws to place horsepower restrictions or limit top speeds?

If the maximum speed limit is 65, how can the manufacturers and resellers justify selling motorcycles that exceed 100-120mph? Countries like Japan and Switzerland (and France?) have 100hp restrictions on m/c already, and they are rigorously enforced.

I do not see restricting motorcar horsepower as such a big issue. Very few folks own cars that can do 180mph and even less will ride them at that speed through traffic. Sadly, I see morons on sport bikes do that frequently.

Old 04-05-2006, 01:49 PM   #28
ksquid
Banned

Default I agree I think we found the anti-kpaul

bigdx I think is my mirror opposite, evil twin, the antichrist...etc.

He hates crotch rockets, loves W... on on

But he sure loves the stir things up like the old kpaul eh?

I'll sit this one out too much work to do since the promotion.

kpaul...

P.S. good to see your post seruzawa seems like you don't post much anymore...I like your sense of humor even though you are wrong all of the time Just kiddiing
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:53 PM   #29
Logan01
Founding Member

I break the speed limits all the time, and I have not hurt anyone in the 20 plus years I've been riding. It isn't the speed that kills as much as it's the rider or cage driver not paying attention. I will agree that speed can kill when people ride over their heads, but that's apples to oranges.

Speed in itself doesn't kill. Stupid does.

I also fall into the wear a helmet don't want to be told to crowd.
Logan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:02 PM   #30
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

I agree with you completely about having no more horse power than you need to go the speed limit. No doubt you've already removed one of the plug wires on your Harley to meet that standard. Otherwise you would seem a trifle hypocritical.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote