Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-02-2006, 11:29 AM   #1
bobsturm
Registered Member

Default Re: Getting Insurance?

SR-22 is a process one goes through when no one will insure you. The insurance company puts your name in a lottery and the insurance company that picks your name has to insure you. I had this happen about 25 years ago and it was real expensive. After one year, I went to another insurance company and they insured me for normal rates without SR22. I received two speeding tickets in a 12 month period which caused the insurance company to freak. Good luck!
bobsturm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2006, 11:34 AM   #2
pplassm
Founding Member

Wow. I have to go to court for a ticket next month. Haven't had one in 5 years, though. I read your record, and I feel a lot better.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:41 AM   #3
12er
Founding Member

Any price is right if someone does insure you, figure half to 3/4 the price of the bike a year if someone bites. Good luck.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
sv1000rider
Founding Member

Now that you already have the bike, your options are very limited. Finding someway to pay the bike off immediately and then just carrying liability coverage only might be an option. Another option, and you will hate this suggestion, is to sell the bike at a large loss, put the remaining balance you will owe on a credit card and pay it off, and wait until your driving record goes away from insurance records (probably three years). I'm afraid it's either that or let the SR-22 process find you an insurance co. and pay $3,000 + dollars per year for insurance for a few years, which will end up costing you more money that selling the bike now. Sorry, but this is going to hurt financially.
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 03:37 PM   #5
ksquid
Banned

Once you do get insurance. I highly recomend a radar/laser detector from RadarBusters.... I have had a detector for two years not one ticket...I have the Bell cordless that fits in your chest pocket and has a ear phone for your helmet I lost count on how many times it has saved me from another speeding ticket.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 06:52 PM   #6
caffine
Registered Member

In New York there are driver programs you pay to attend to reduce and/or remove all your points. Maybe NJ does this?

Also, If you are under 25 and/or a new rider your still considered a risk.
caffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:05 PM   #7
CTSommers
Founding Member

coors99 you may want to join AMA I believe they have some deal running with either State farm, or All State. I think AMA members save around 20% percent. I hear you with these outrageous insurance rates. I live outside of Philadelphia, PA and the rates around hear are very high. I have 3 points on my license I got from rolling through a stop sign late one night on some back road. The cop was hiding in some near by bushes. I now pay around $450 a year for a 1983 XJ750 Maxim with progressive insurance. This is with liability coverage, basic health care coverage for a 23 year old male. I have been looking at the Kawasaki ZZR600 for my next bike but will put that off for a few years due to the fact that it would cost to much to insure.
CTSommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:05 PM   #8
Somnus
Founding Member

Yeah, well, the gov't builds your roads and sets the rules. Perhaps you ire should be directed in that direction -- privatize roads.
Somnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 03:22 AM   #9
acecycleins
Founding Member

Fact: A Sr-22 or SR22a is there for people that have licenses supended and reinstated or for those that can't pay their insurance obligation and get a ticket for no insurance. It IS NOT the insurance company's responsibilty to provide you coverage. It is your responsibilty to find your insurance coverage. Basically, they will make it near impossible based on your MVR. You haven't given enough information to be objective in this but I am assuming that you are under 25yrs old. In the most basic sense: You're screwed if you want buy anything more than liability coverage. Get your MVR to make sure you know what's on your record. Then shop. If you need more than liability coverage expect to pay $2000+ annually for the coverage based on the info you have provided. If you want to talk to me e-mail and I will go over some ideas. I am a professional agent and place high risk motorcyclist in the southeast.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:38 AM   #10
acecycleins
Founding Member

Conspiracy nut? Reality: You do not have the right to drive. You have the opportunity to obtain a legal means to drive on State and Federal roadways base on skill in a state mandated test. You must provide the state the means by which you will fix what ever you break in the event of an accident. Self-insured people exsist but in most cases most cannot afford to self-insure. That's where insurance companies come in. Insurance is a BUSINESS FOR PROFIT. "Rate of return" my a$$. When you walk into the McDonalds do you ask what your rate of return is when you buy your meal? Rates are charged and risk is spread over a vast number of people. In the most basic sense: you travel the roadways illegally in you state to stick it to the man. Then you expect people to understand that you think insurance is a rip-off because of the "Rate of return". So, when you slam into a bus full of nuns or school kids and a few people go to the hospital. You just remember when you're sitting in jail that those kids parents can pay the bill because insurance is a conspiracy and your too damn nuts to see that the state just wants to make sure that the bills get paid in the event of an accident.