Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-30-2006, 04:48 AM   #1
bkbennett
Registered Member

Default Re: The Joys of Sport Bike Rental

A brave soul: Rents a CBR600RR for his first modern sport bike experience and admits dumping it!! As a 46-year-old who recently converted to a Yamaha FJR130 from a Honda Shadow, I share the newfound thrill of performance. Ride on!
bkbennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2006, 05:21 AM   #2
bbtowns
Founding Member

Sounds like it's time for a sport bike, or even a modern standard in your garage. I've often thought that if those who insist that cruisers are the way to go rode a sport ibke, they'd be converted. Not to get rid of their cruisers, but to branch out a little bit. Cruisers, standards, sport-tourers, dual sports and sport bikes can all live happily in a garage! It's a bit tougher to move the other way, as standards are probably the most comfortable bikes (for me), and obviously performance and handling fall on the sport bike side.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:31 AM   #3
bboule
Founding Member

Anyone who starts on standards or sport bikes has the exact same funny experience when they first get on a cruiser and try the forward peg style! You pick up your feet and put them where the pegs belong and they fall right back to the ground.

But the thing is standards just feel right. With a standard the pegs are just in the right place, exactly where they should be when you pick your feet up off the ground.
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 06:01 AM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

It's amazing they still even rent bikes. Not a money-making proposition...

When I was a teenager I worked as the parts gofer at Hollywod Rentals out on Sunset Blvd. We rented Lambrettas, Vespas and had three HD 125 two-stroke motorcycles (that looked like old DKWs).

The mechanic was this old ill-tempered Greek guy named George who would go absolutley ape when someone would wreck or blow up a scooter. All day he would stand by the door of the shop and size up the customers as they rented bikes: "Oh Christ, we're gonna need some parts for the 125 in a few hours" he'd mutter under his breath, when an off-duty sailor or sometone as equaly inept rented a bike.

I think that's the place I learned how to cuss and throw tools at the floor. You'd be in the shop and hear this loud "PING" and a 7/16th open end would go whizzing by like a missle, followed by Greek cursing. Real dangerous work environment.

Ah, memories...
Old 03-30-2006, 06:33 AM   #5
tomk2
Founding Member

>>All day he would stand by the door of the shop and size up the customers as they rented bikes: "Oh Christ, we're gonna need some parts for the 125 in a few hours"<<

LOL!!!

Makes me wonder if the profits don't come from the charges for repairing the rental bikes
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:27 AM   #6
cls
Registered Member

Way cool. That's the kicker that keeps costing me so much money: I love riding different stuff. The change is always cool.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:32 AM   #7
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

I should interview you ... there are some great short stories hidden in that garage, I can tell.
m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:49 AM   #8
andrew_sweeny
Registered Member

Right on vermicious!

I think its great that despite the high price and bruised ego you endured that day, you still had such great things to say about the experience.

I had a similar (except for dropping the bike) low-hassle rental experience with PMC / Marin Cycleworks.

The bike they rented me was in pristine condition and the staff was very accomodating. I couldn't believe that it was this easy to rent such a marvelous sportbike, and to boot I was smack dab in prime riding country.

It's hard to fathom they make money on the rentals, however after taking out a new Kawasaki 636 for a day-long test ride, I can see how their rental business would convert many renters into buyers.

Full disclosure: I was not converted to a buyer, but was imensely impressed with the bike, the service, and the shop.
andrew_sweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:22 PM   #9
imported_Chris_H
Registered Member

So, mscuddy, are you saying all Sailors are inept riders? You may want to temper your sweeping generalizations a bit. Many of the motorcycle riding Sailors I have known in my 17 years of Naval service are skilled and responsible riders. You may be suprised to learn all Military members are required to complete a MSF course before being allowed to register their bikes on a base. Also, here in Japan, we are required to complete the advanced MSF course before being allowed to ride off base. Skill development and safety are very important to Sailors like me.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:28 PM   #10
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

That's PR3 Cuddy to you mister.

I've seen more than my share of inept drunk sailors & jarheads eat it on rented CB750s right outside the MCRD/NRTC main gates to not know any better.

You sound like a blackshoe. Bosuns mate?