Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-22-2006, 06:19 AM   #21
jfiore
Registered Member

Default Re: The MO Gold Wing Car Tire Reader Challenge!

Why rent a track? All it would take is a parking lot and a few cones! I guess the embarassment would be more public on a track, though...
jfiore is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2006, 06:27 AM   #22
bhiley
Founding Member

Default Re: Run a Car Tire on Your Gold Wing!

Actually dragging pegs on a Valkyrie is not as easy as you might imagine. I ride a Valk Interstate and it has much better peg clearance than most of the cruisers I rode before it. I'm not a "racer" by any means, but ride pretty aggressively for a big bike, and tend to catch up and pass many riders when going through the twisties. On two week-long trips in the mountains of WV, NC, and TN (including the Dragon), I only dragged pegs once and that was in an avoidance maneuver on a right-handed, decreasing radius hairpin to avoid a pickup cutting the apex into my lane.
bhiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:39 AM   #23
BikerJC
Founding Member

Once again, Goldwing owners prove they should not have bikes in the first place. Reminds me of a letter sent to Cycle World, where a Goldwing rider argued that bald tyres were safer and better because they were exactly the same as racing slicks.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:48 AM   #24
bigdx
Founding Member

Default Re: get real ...

Read the article under http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/...eDarkSide.html

The guy seems to talk sense and has done the miles to back up what he says. I may just stick one onto the back of my Harley ...
bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:20 AM   #25
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

That's just mean.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:24 AM   #26
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Run a Whitewall Tire on Your Gold Wing!

Neat. Then you can get some of those stick-on whitewalls too. One for each side.

Old 03-22-2006, 07:31 AM   #27
bigjames
Premium Member

Man, is this old news. This comes from the sidecar folks! We eat up rear tires faster than a sport bike rider on burn out night! Ever try to get a back tire off a sidecar rig? Requres a jack, and lots of other stuff to get it up high enough, then you eventually have to put it back on! There are conversions for Harley Wheels too as well as BMW. Strongly suggest against this for a two wheeler. Ask anyone who remembers the old Goodyear Speedgrip! Square profile tires (like car tires) make for interesting handling in corners....
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:57 AM   #28
gniewko
Registered Member

Default Re: get real ...

Do his miles override the knowledge and experience of motorcycle and tire designers?

Motorcycle handling is very susceptible to even minor changes in tire profile, tread, and compound. The guy from that web link above says that himself - he says that one of the problems with bike tires is that whenever he installed tires from a different brand, he would have to get used to dramatically different handling. So a slightly different tire has an unacceptably large difference in handling. But he puts a car tire on his bike and gets used to it in 1/4 mile? Anyone smell something weird here?

People who do this sort of crazy stuff seem to say that longer tire life is a big advantage of using car tires. Well, guess what? Car tires last longer because they use harder rubber and as a result have significantly less grip than motorcycle tires. With just 2 wheels keeping your butt off the asphalt, that doesn't seem like a smart tradeoff.
gniewko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:09 AM   #29
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Good article. Whether you like it or not, it definitely seems to work for this guy. Goes into quite a bit of detail to support his argument.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:16 AM   #30
ValkBandit
Registered Member

all those guys with valks fitted with car tires are dragging their pipes. those car tires have a lower profile so that the undercarraige is lower to the ground. so they're throwing sparks at extremely low speeds and shallow lean angles.

big fun, eh?
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote