Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-20-2006, 12:14 PM   #21
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default No, no...

...He's a "rider", Buz: there are plenty of arm-chapped "bikers" down there buying t-shirts and trashing their tires in the burn-out pit at the Broken Spoke saloon, eh?

Bryan...used to go to the races myself-but stopped when the street traffic became louder than the race bikes...
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2006, 12:34 PM   #22
sanfrdnsun
Registered Member

Default Re: Once Again With a Timeless Motorcycling Issue.

Just doing some quick math and reading other known statistics, it seems the death rate at bike week of riders is 4x higher then the average for the rest of the year. Doesnt seem outrageous to me considering the circumstances and environment.
sanfrdnsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:07 PM   #23
rapier
Founding Member

Easily 30% of auto accident fatalities could be prevented if the occupants wore helmets, probably many percent more, maybe 50%. This is the biggest big picture way to look at this whole thing.

I simply never ride without a top notch full face helmet so it isn't like I'm some ABATE member. I favor helmet laws but there is no way I can defend them in some logically coherent ideologcal way in the face of the unequal treatment vis a vis autos.

If I were a legislator I'd vote for bike helmet laws every time and try to fashion them so those silly useless brain buckets favored by cruiser people didn't pass muster. I can't defend it but there it is.

Only partly related; the time is comming when dangerous ativities will no longer be covered by most health insurance policies. We can set aside all the semantics of what is dangerous, bikes will be on the list. You can take it to the bank. If you've ever looked into medical coverage for bikes yout better start thinking about a second job to keep riding.

rapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:44 PM   #24
redbandit_1
Founding Member

LA marathon today: 20,000 runners, Two fatalities. extrapolated to 500,000 runners = 50 fatalities. this in a one day event with no booze and an activity that is supposed to be healthy. the Guvment needs to look into this one!
redbandit_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:11 PM   #25
jpp
Founding Member

Default Re: If it bleeds it leads.

I'm still in that business and it's still true