Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-20-2006, 10:00 AM   #11
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Once Again With a Timeless Motorcycling Issue.

So then choosing to learn how to ride your 700 lb motorcycle in a congested traffic area while helmetless and intoxicated is a bad idea?

Isn't it amazing that folks who mention the Darwinian Theory, while discussing such a subject, are called crass?
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2006, 10:08 AM   #12
Joseph_Betor
Founding Member

20 deaths out of half a million people sounds low, but if you were to extrapolate it out to a full year and the full population of the US, it would look far more significant. Figure Bike Week to encompass at least two weeks, unless I dropped a decimal point, it comes to over 300,000 fatalities.
Joseph_Betor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:09 AM   #13
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: But.................

I actually rode to Bike Week for 6 years straight. Last one I went to was in 2000. I don't really drink much, so the big party thing wasn't a big deal. I just liked doing the test rides at the track, watching the racing and soaking up the sun . Those events are non-attended by the Daytona Faithful.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:53 AM   #14
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

So you chose to actually watch and ride motorcycles instead of engaging in drunken debauchery? I certainly hope that your activities didn't prejudice the non-riding public against us.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:55 AM   #15
DataDan
Founding Member

The reported 80% increase in motorcycle deaths since helmet law repeal in FL (7/1/2000) is misleading because it conveniently ignores the increase in the number of motorcycles in the state.

As it happens, Florida's repeal took place during the period of explosive growth motorcycling has seen in the past decade. And Florida has seen even more growth than the rest of the US, with registrations doubling between 1998 and 2004. This chart, shows the rather unremarkable trend in FL motorcycle deaths per 10,000 registrations from 1993 to 2004. I believe that some of the increase since 1999 is due to helmet law repeal, but most of the "80%" is due to the increasing popularity fo motorcycling, not to a disproportionate increase in crashes. (Chart compiled from NHTSA and FL Dept. of HS&MV data.)

For info, here are some details on the reported 20 deaths, compiled from various news media sources. Other than the bike-vs-bike crashes, they seem to be fairly typical of motorcycle crashes that might happen anywhere. But with a few hundred thousand bikers in and around Daytona Beach for Bike Week, they happened there instead.
  1. Jody Driggers: Daytona Beach, 3/3, noon.

Unhelmeted 39yo GA rider was killed when hit while stopped at light by 74yo Minnesotan SUV driver.

2. Dean K. Ruland: Bunnell, 3/5, 4:00pm.

65yo Harley rider from NY was killed when he hit van driven by 32yo local woman who pulled into his path from cross-street.

3. Louis Polk: Ormond-by-the-Sea, 3/5, 7:30pm.

44yo Triumph rider from Daytona Beach was killed when he hit oncoming van that crossed centerline after driver experienced a medical problem.

4. Craig Arthur Brooks: Port Orange, 3/5, 9:30pm.

23yo Suzuki rider was killed when he lost control in a curve and hit oncoming pickup head-on.

5. Robert LeeÂ…
  6. Â…and Janet Solomon Weisbach (Welsbach?): Palm Coast, 3/5, 3:30pm.

Unhelmeted 41yo rider from Boca Raton and his 37yo helmeted wife were both killed when their motorcycle hit pickup driven by 22yo local man who pulled into motorcycleÂ’s path from cross street.

7. Rocio Piccirillo: St. Augustine, 3/5, night.

Helmeted 21yo Jacksonville woman, passenger on motorcycle ridden by 25yo man, was killed when the motorcycle was rear-ended on the freeway by SUV as 37yo driver with suspended license changed lanes.

8. Richard Germain: Ocala, 3/8, 2:30pm.

21yo Honda rider from NH, after being passed by truck, attempted to re-pass but lost control and was killed when he fell from the bike and was hit by oncoming Gold Wing.

9. David Batson: Daytona Beach, 3/8, 1:30pm.

Helmeted 60yo Cocoa Beach rider was killed when he hit oncoming pickup driven by 64yo local man who turned left in front of the motorcycle.

10. Lawrence M. Lokatys: Palm Coast, 3/8, night.

48yo rider from CT was killed when he lost control in a curve, ran off the road, and landed in a marsh.

11. Jerry C. Bolding: Dayona Beach, 3/9.

Unhelmeted 56yo Harley rider from SC was killed when he rear-ended another motorcycle slowing for traffic.

12. Robert Earl Cameron: New Smyrna, 3/9, 9:30pm.

Unhelmeted 47yo rider from Edgewater with wife as passenger pulled out from side street in front of another motorcycle, ridden by local off-duty LEO. The two bikes collided, and the first rider was then hit and killed by passing pickup. His wife suffered minor injuries, and the LEO was critically injured.

13. Joseph Poda: Barberville, 3/10, 9:00am.

Helmeted 38yo PA man was killed when he collided with left-turning Stanley Steemer van.

14. Jason P. Perron: Apopka, 3/10, 3:00am.

Helmeted 23yo Suzuki rider from Apopka was killed when he lost control in curve, hit curb and guardrail.

15. David H. Hudson: Daytona Beach, 3/10, 11:30am.

Helmeted 63yo rider from Lake Wales on 3-wheeler was killed when rear-ended while stopped at light by SUV driven by 44yo local woman. The trike hit two other motorcycles, but the occupants were apparently not seriously injured.

16. Alvin Palmer: Port Orange, 3/10, 8:00pm.

Unhelmeted 59yo Harley rider from VA crossed centerline and hit oncoming Harley ridden by another unhelmeted rider who survived.

17. Walter D. Fliss: Brevard County, 3/10, 11:00pm.

51yo rider from St. Cloud on Harley with just 72.5mi on the odo was killed when he lost control in a curve and skidded into construction barrier.

18. Sanford Highsmith: Seminole County, 3/11, 3:30am.

43yo Harley rider from Orlando was killed when he drifted into median and crashed in culvert.

19. Brian Arthur Rooke: Daytona Beach, 3/11, 3:30pm.

44yo Honda Shadow rider from Palm Beach was killed when he lost control on a freeway onramp and hit guardrail.

20. Bruce Thalheimer: Ormond Beach, 3/11, 6:50pm.

While passing truck, helmeted 51yo rider from Naples was killed when he hit oncoming motorcycle.
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:06 AM   #16
jpp
Founding Member

Not being seen seems to be a common thread in the multi vehicle incidents in that list. Helmets may or may not have saved some lives but drivers (bike and cage) paying attention and not overtaking where they shouldn't would save more.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:11 AM   #17
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default I can't understand.....................

....why would anyone want to cloud a sensational, full-of-bullshyt-statistics, article with facts and common sense? I don't get it.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:25 AM   #18
Buzglyd
Founding Member

And you call yourself a biker.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:27 AM   #19
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default If it bleeds it leads.

That's what we used to say when I was in the news business.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:30 AM   #20
Tigercub
Founding Member

Exactly half of those accidents were due to pilot error.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote