Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-14-2006, 11:01 AM   #1
TomSmith
Founding Member

Default Re: How to ''GS-ify'' a Sportster...

Try "http://www.storzperf.com" for starters - you can convert to a dirt tracker here and maybe get more info by contacting them. Back in the 50s we would convert a Harley to off-road by taking the front fender off and removing the rear half of the rear fender at the hinge.

First post or what?
TomSmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2006, 11:09 AM   #2
clively
Founding Member

Triumph is coming out with a "Scrambler" which sounds exactly what you are looking for aesthetic wise but are down on power. I think it would be neat to do the same thing to a Sportster, it shouldn't be to hard with all the aftermarket goodies for them. I was debating on doing the same thing after reading the story on the Scrambler in one of the other moto-magazines.
clively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:15 AM   #3
HondaHooter
Registered Member

Just one word for ya: BUELL. Same Sportster injine, same dealer network (or so they claim). Check out the Buell Ulysses, it looks freakin' awesome.
HondaHooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:26 AM   #4
Tigercub
Founding Member

Excellent question. I've been trying to convert my Triumph TR6R Tiger into a TR6C. I'm also working on a Triumph Cub converting it back from trials to street use. Want to know why? The street, even the worst cracked and buggered concrete we have around here is way smoother than dirt. The problem with the old Triumphs and your Sportster fits in with them is the shocks. They are made for street cruising and compress all of about 3". Take a look at any offroad machine made today and you will find the minimum shock travel on dual-sport bikes is still over 5", with serious shocks springing closer to 8" and on up MX bikes of 10".

So, you get tall saddle heights and lots of springing. That level of shock movement sucks on the street at any sort of fun lean angles at speed. In other words you can't have both. If your off road riding is smooth fire lanes and soft grass with no hidden ripples or rocks you may get away with 4 to 5 inches of shock travel just fine. For that there are some cheap shocks available, which I would try first to see if you still want to do this. The Brit bikes use HJ or JP or something like that. Check the catalogs - there are several. Works Performance shocks aren't too expensive.

Next, don't expect a lot out of your swingarm - no MX jumps etc. without some major work there. The front shocks can be replaced too, but you may just need to swap stock for stiffer springs and let it go at that.

What about upswept pipes and spark arrester mufflers? Also a Sportster ways a half a ton - not the best platform for offroading. And tires. Trials are an OK compromise or Dunlop K70s or Bridgestone ??

Finally, learn to ride the bike on the pegs. That's the best improvement you can make.

You can't just get a Kawasaki KLR650 or Suzuki DRZ?
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:31 AM   #5
Tigercub
Founding Member

I haven't read or seen anything on this bike that suggests it isn't anything more than a styling exersize on the Bonneville. I road a Bonneville and wouldn't consider ever taking one on anything but the smoothest dirt road for the shortest possible distence.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:35 AM   #6
Tigercub
Founding Member

Sorry, one more point. Gearing and the Sportsters belt drive. You'll want to convert to sprocket and chain to get the right combination and then you'll never be happy with the gearing on the street and the dirt.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:45 AM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

The Storz Street Tracker rocks.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:53 AM   #8
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

If you end up doing it, document it, take photos and post it here when you are done!

I'd like to see how it turns out, what it looks like and all of that fun cr@p.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:56 AM   #9
teknoman
Registered Member

What he said!
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 12:24 PM   #10
jpp
Founding Member

Got one - it is freakin awesome!