Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-13-2006, 07:12 AM   #21
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default Re: Hells angels sue DISNEY!

Commie hippies who love the Mouse. No one slags the mouse.
m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2006, 08:31 AM   #22
orcyclist
Founding Member

Aren't most H-D riders middle aged? When was the last time you saw a teen-ager or 20 something on a H/D? (I am 58 so I am definnitely "middle-aged") From what I observe there is a dearth of young HD riders. I ride a BMW and the same issue exists. BMW is trying to change their image. It seems HD is trying NOT to change. Anyone hear of "Evolve or Die?"

In the case of HD and BMW the bikes are costly so they are virutally out of reach of the young folks, in most cases.

Yesterday I looked at a BMW K1200S for $18,000+ and at a GSXR1000 for $11,000. Since I already have a sport touring bike, for the same price aas teh BMW, I could get a new GSXR 1K for $11K and have a about $7000 to use on track days, riding schools, new spiffy leathers and helmet and trips to a race or two. If I opt for a new Gixxer 600 ($8800.) for track days, I would have about $10K! Realistically, I probably will never be able to ride up to the capability of the 600, much less the 1000. AND I can get into a Gixxer for $99. mo.

Nice touch by the HA lawyer though.

Enough outta me. Just get out and ride!
Old 03-13-2006, 08:36 AM   #23
orcyclist
Founding Member

As a lawyer (who no longer practices), you are correct that a copyright/trademark holder needs to protect the copyright/trademark or it can be argued that you have abandoned it.

How aggressive you get would appear to be directly related to how valuable the copyright/trademark is to your business and how much money your business has. Disney would score high on both of those. In reality all Disney has is its copyrights/trademarks to protect its image.

Just an FYI. No judgment on whether they are right or wrong.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:51 AM   #24
orcyclist
Founding Member

Default Re: CEASE AND DESIST!

Dear Mr. Penderbreth:

As an experienced attorney at Acme, you surely must be aware that generic terms by themselves, e.g. "screw" without reference to an entity such as Acme Screw and Fastener (hereinafter referred to as ASF) is not subject to protection any more than the word "and" in ASF's name is subject to protection.

As an experienced attorney, you obviously are aware that bringing a groundless action merely to harass is a breach of the Code of Professional Reponsibility see ABA Code of Professional Responsibility DR 2-110B(1).

In addition, I am certain you are aware that the work "screw" when used in contexts other than fastners would not be protected by your registration, even if that registration was valid, which is a matter of some dispute. Your protection would apply only to the fastner realm and certainly does not apply to those uses protected by the 1st Amendment such as satire or humorous useage not designed to defame ASF.

Sincerely yours.

Hugh Lewis Dewey

Dewey, Screwum and Howe
Old 03-13-2006, 09:34 AM   #25
Tigercub
Founding Member

When this movie comes out, I'll make a point to stay home and watch the DVD of the World's Fastest Indian - my new most favorite motorcycle movie - even better than Little Foss and Big Halsey.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:03 PM   #26
LiionsRest
Registered Member

Default Re: Hells angels sue Disney.

'course if the HA's had any real style, real panache, they'd take to cruising around in Mickey Mouse Ears helmets instead of some boring litigation!

On second thought, that'd be fvcking goofy.

Sue 'em like they sue everyone else.