Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-09-2006, 05:11 AM   #31
bigdx
Founding Member

Default Re: Woman Ticketed In ER After Being Hit By Motorcycle.

If you do as you describe you are an accident waiting to happen. Many cagers think it is their right to go through yellow lights and speed up to "make the yellow". If it turns red (and green for you) you will accelerate right into their path.

Wise up dude – look both right and left before pulling of when the light goes green. The cagers aren’t looking out for you.

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2006, 05:16 AM   #32
gniewko
Founding Member

Congratulations, you win the "dumbest analogy of the year" award - even though it's only March.

On a motorcycle you're much more aware than a car driver where the edges of your vehicle are, you have much better visibility, much better maneuverability, and you obviously have much less width. You can't compare a motorcycle lane splitting to a car lane splitting (or more like lane straddling).

And if you do make a mistake while lane splitting, the worst that can happen to the car you hit is a broken mirror or a dented door panel. But if a car makes a mistake splitting lanes next to a bike, his mistake can easily be fatal for the rider.

I certainly agree with "do unto others as you would have them do to you", but the correct thing to consider in this case would be "how about bikes splitting lanes next to you while you're driving a car".

There are good reasons why lane splitting by motorcycles and scooters is not only allowed but often REQUIRED in most of the civilized world.
gniewko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:29 AM   #33
Gluge
Registered Member

I guess I wasn't clear with my example, it is a bit convoluted. But I ment if your splitting lanes at say 10 mph or so approching a red light, your about 2 or 3 cars from the cross walk.

Then the light turns green, not wanting to be bettween the cars as they get up to speed you accerate toward the crosswalk.

Normaly you'll get there just as the front two cars start crossing the intersection.. but sometimes the on in the left lane is waiting to make a left so it's just stoped, no big deal.

But sometimes it's stopped because a pedestrian is crossing in front of it and about to step out in front as you pass... which I imagine can be pretty hard to see if it's a big SUV or something.

Cars crossing the intersection ahead of you trying to beat the 'pink' light are a lot easier to see.
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:08 AM   #34
pplassm
Founding Member

The police HAVE to give SOMEBODY a ticket. Ask'em.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:16 AM   #35
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I think going to the gym actually would have solved the problem this time.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:17 AM   #36
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Isn't that how MOs bible thumping intern went down?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:22 AM   #37
bkbennett
Registered Member

Default Re: Can't Avoid a

I agree. If you can't avoid a fat lady walking across the street, you are probably an accident waiting to happen.
bkbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:20 AM   #38
v4bryan
Founding Member

You'd be the one getting the ticket: Florida doesn't permit lane-splitting. furthermore, given the pre-ponderance of functionally blind elderly drivers year-round and the huge number of arm-chapped poseurs straddling $30,000 pieces of ass jewelery this week, I'won't ever ride in Daytona again, given a choice.

I'm still confused as to why the bike didn't get the failure to yield ticket: just cause the light turned green doesn't mean you get to go-it means you get to go when the way is clear, no?

Bryan...most of Daytona has a speed limit no higher than 40 mph, too...
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:23 AM   #39
mitctho
Founding Member

Bad Cop. He should have finished the job and helped clean up the gene pool.
mitctho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:31 AM   #40
tomk2
Founding Member

"I agree. This is one more reason I will not and have not "split lanes". Do unto others as you would like done to you; how about another car "splitting your lane", such as passing you without completing changing lanes."

You must like to live dangerously... lane splitting is FAR safer than sitting in stop-and-go traffic.

How do I know this?

a) It's in the Hurt Report

b) The only time I've ever even scratched a street bike is when I totalled my Buell while stopped traffic on 101. I stopped, the van behind me stopped, the half-witted Cletus pickup driver behind them didn't stop.

When you ride a bike, you're doing your fellow commuters a favor... you're taking up less space, helping ease congestion, not endangering anyone else or getting in their way.

It's not a freaking race and I have no sympathy if some desperate no-life yuppie in their SUV has an emotional bed-wetting fit because a motorbiker got ahead and "beat" them slipping through stalled traffic.

tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote