Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-06-2006, 04:30 PM   #21
ER1B
Founding Member

Default Re: Buying Motorcycles from the Internet

I've always tried to support my local dealer. There is always a 'right way' and a 'wrong way' to do anything. I never would grind my local into submission. If they could get me into my comfort zone, then it was a done deal. Usually, that works. My last Harley was the exception. The local dealer was holding fast on the 'list ++++' school of thought and I simply told them I was only interested in a MSRP deal. After more than a year of dancing, I bought out of town and over the phone. (I am patient). I even told them I was going to buy in the next two weeks-still no offer. Hence, the out of town purchase. When I rode the bike over there to buy an oil filter a few weeks later, the sales manager acted upset. Oh well...Now I live in Chicago where there is some of the most aggressive new bike pricing in the country. Chicago Cycles will discount everything. Great for me and my next purchase.
ER1B is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2006, 04:48 PM   #22
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Stupid

I have no F$%@*^!g idea.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:49 PM   #23
rsk173
Founding Member

not trying to be adversarial but thats a pretty bad attitude for a buisness person to have. if he (the store owner) takes care of him (the biker) in a service vist he would be more likely to buy his next bike AND tell his friends what a good place the dealership is. otherwise the shop owner is just reinforcing that the biker made the right decision.
rsk173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:04 PM   #24
Fenton
Founding Member

My local honda/yamaha guys are fine with the fact I haven't bought a bike from them.(except the CR70F)

I let them know early on I'll buy new VFRs anythime they improve. Other than that it is all internet for me. I'm a bike ***** and not willing to take a new bike hit on resale.

I have had warranty work done on a ducati, triumph, aprilia & honda all used and none at the original dealer.

I might go as far as to tell the "local" dealer to go screw himself. What if there is a conflict in the future? Your parts may take a while to get ordered judging from the attitude.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:37 PM   #25
conchscooter
Founding Member

i bought my last bike on cycle trader. I checked out three within a days (long )drive, took the car, trailer and cash after i had appointments made with the owners over the phone and brought one motorcycle home. I wouldn't buy without seeing and test riding, though. I always check the trader site when i am looking for a bike or a boat or a car.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:27 PM   #26
sv1000rider
Founding Member

I saved a buttload of money when I bought my second naked SV1000 last September after my first one was run over by a blind, left-hand turning cager. I saw it in an ad on Cycle Trader and called the dealer that was 400 miles away immediately. The negoitiations were easy via phone and I got the bike without incident. There are several Suzuki dealers in my area and if I ever need to take the bike in for warranty work, the dealer that takes it in without question will be getting a lot of my business and I'll be sure to let everyone that's willing to listen, know the responses from dealerships regarding performing warranty work and/or service on my bike.
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:40 PM   #27
moabjeeper
Registered Member

I have personally bought 2 VFR 800's on e-bay. The first was in Las Vegas, Flew there and rode it home across the Mohave in Aug. 2 years ago. Sold that one on Craig's List to a guy from Portland, OR. I picked him up at the airport and he rode it home. Then I bought my 2nd one in Las Cruces, NM and rode it home Feb 05. Both experiences were great but not without some risk. At most I would have had to tell the sellers "no deal" and buy another oneway ticket home. Love my VFR
moabjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:05 PM   #28
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

I bought my car in Marin, but have it serviced in Fairfield Ca, which is more convenient for me. I don't know that the service manager who schedules the appointment, even knows where I bought the car. I bought my VFR used, and have no idea where it was purchased. I doubt the dealer where I have it serviced cares either. It's a different "Profit Center" from the sales department. Why should they care? If you have all your service done there, you are a good customer in the Service Department's eyes.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:10 PM   #29
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

I bought my car in Marin, but have it serviced in Fairfield Ca, which is more convenient for me. I don't know that the service manager who schedules the appointment, even knows where I bought the car. I bought my VFR used, and have no idea where it was purchased. I doubt the dealer where I have it serviced cares either. It's a different "Profit Center" from the sales department. Why should they care? If you have all your service done there, you are a good customer in the Service Department's eyes.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:14 PM   #30
caffine
Registered Member

I would buy from the local dealer. If they are worth their salt and bring in a good selection of bikes each year, service etc., your best bet is to give them your business. I would much rather spend a few extra bucks on a family owned dealership if for no other reason to help keep them around for years to come. If they are a reputable dealer then you have sparked a good business relationship. That's going to be worth more than $500 over next 20 years... for me anyway.

Buy off the internet? If you must. "Was'nt there a Big 4 dealer here .... oh, crap! They went out of business!"

As far as warranty issues and a bike that was not purchased at the shop, factory reps don't care where you bought your bike. It's their job to see to it that you'll buy Honda's , or whatever, for years to come. let them go to bat for you if you're getting the run-around . Reminder: Reps like to see service records if your borderline or just over the warranty.

caffine is offline   Reply With Quote