Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-01-2006, 08:44 AM   #31
bigdx
Founding Member

Default Re: Jesse James on T.V.? No way!

So what 'reality' do you subscribe to that makes you think 180mph bike is anything other than useless considering the speed limit is 55mph?

The only time I ever see sport bikes are in traffic, plodding at 10mph. I hardly ever see them on the open roads when I go for rides, and then going way slower than what they were designed for.

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2006, 08:44 AM   #32
Tigercub
Founding Member

a '69 Triumph Chopper !

Ouch! It's just that there are so few of these great old pieces of shyt bikes left I hate to see them built as choppers.

Having said that, I've always thought the best looking choppers were the Triumphs, maybe BSA.

Keep that bike on the road!!
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:48 AM   #33
acecycleins
Founding Member

BSA rocks the house. I insure one for a friend that has a triple with an inverted springer front end. Somehow he managed to get Lockheed disk brakes on it.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:52 AM   #34
Tigercub
Founding Member

Why do we like Jesse James and the chopper?

1) He is the personification of motorcycling individualism.

2) The chopper is as much or more about building the bike than owning and riding it.

3) If you haven't ridden a chopper - shutup! Of course they don't handle or stop like factory bikes. But, like jazz they are cool and if it has to be explained to you move on to another subject.

4) Choppers are more about the journey than almost every other motorcycle and that's what it's all about for me.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:53 AM   #35
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I work from home and the TV is always on for background noise.

All I gotta say is: CAN WE STOP WITH THE F'IN POKER SHOWS!!!!
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:55 AM   #36
Tigercub
Founding Member

Sure. I'd watch that too. But, there aren't enough of us to maintain the ratings. They need that NASCAR/NFL/professional wrestling audience.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:01 AM   #37
bigdx
Founding Member

Way cool response dude!
bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:03 AM   #38
iamz
Founding Member

Maybe Cycle World will devote more print and photo space to "real" cycles once the chopper craze dies. And yes, I know, it's very selfish of me.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:07 AM   #39
iamz
Founding Member

If you have the guts to drive, oh, for instance, an OCC bike at 180,....more power to ya dude.

Wouldn't a drag bike be better suited though?
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:18 AM   #40
gas_pig
Founding Member

Even though I have zero interest in owning a chopper (or even a cruiser... until I'm old) I'll admit to having loved Jesse James' shows and American Chopper since Discovery first started airing them. They are some of the few shows my wife and I enjoy watching together (along with Dirty Jobs and the Daily Show).

I watch very little TV these days except for racing (Dakar, WRC, WSBK, AMA SBK, MOTOGP, F1, and anything with dirtbikes). Long live the DVR/Tivo.

The fact is that these 2 shows have an audience way beyond just 'motorcycle enthusiasts'. To me, they are darned entertaining to watch, and that's why I continue to view them. At least they fill the void that has become the Network wasteland. If figure the more exposure folks have to bikes the better anyway. Perhaps they'll actually see me before deciding to merge their SUV into my FZ1 next time.

Now far as Texas Hardtails, and the various chopper buildoff shows..... ick.