Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-01-2006, 06:25 AM   #21
U4eeeahhh
Founding Member

Default Re: Jesse James on T.V.? No way!

To the non-motorcyclist, to the "I rode a ____ in college" set, to the " if I wasn't_____ I would have a bike" crowd, a West Coast Chopper or an OCC bike is what THEY think we aspire to own. If I had a nickel for every " You gonna get a Harley?" comment I hear from non-riders about my Hondas and Yamahas, I would own lots stock in Harley which is the ONLY HD product I wanna own.

Discovery is giving viewers what they want. There have been a couple of pilots filmed for touring shows, at least one has gotten airtime and there was no response. I was involved in one of the pilots production and after weeks of work when we showed the backers the footage they said where's the conflict. Nobody was yelling at anyone, no tossed hammers, no crashes, no seats catching on fire. Then my favorite comment was that we could put a sound track of a Vtwin over some of the riding footage because the HONDA & DUCATI didn't make enough NOISE!

NON-motorcyclist producers and programmers put this pieces of crap together because they think these are motorcycles.

I have ridden some of these high end choppers and a few years ago had a Titan for a project - I consider them dangerous beyond belief and would like to see them regulated for safety reasons.
U4eeeahhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2006, 06:27 AM   #22
pplassm
Founding Member

No, I don't want it to "go away". Just like to see more exposure of other aspects of motorcycling.

Last night I missed 2 Wheeled Tuesday on Speed TV, so I thought I'd tune in and see what followed. Nothing but choppers, Harleys, V-Twin cruisers for 2 hours.

Again. I just don't get it.

Old 03-01-2006, 06:27 AM   #23
iamz
Founding Member

Because choppers are to motorcycles what Mardi gras parade floats are to automobiles; Shiny fancy circus wagons that can get you from point A to point B but in all reality, are entirely useless.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:36 AM   #24
fireworks
Founding Member

Potential show revenue > (cost + desired profit margin) == true? If so then air the show, if not junk it.

That's it folks. Nothing else to it.

Discovery Channel is a business, their only purpose in life is to profit.

As for 'why choppers', judging by the content of the show(s), there would seem to be a lot of people that the imagery of Arnie walking out of the biker bar, shades on, black leather jacket clad, and to the tune of George Thoroughgood, resonants with.

I don't really find this surprising. We have a culture that is dominated by 'kinder gentler men' stereotypes. Yet, you have these shows, and I don't know about you but I know a few women who like the 'biker' thing. They will even watch the show. The same women won't watch ' The Long Way Round'. You might even argue that all of the PC, sensitive guy thing that has been promoted/ beaten into men, isn't really what guys, (and some (most?) girls I suppose) are looking for.

There is also a sense that we are less free, and the imagery of the 'rebel' has always been associated with freedom.

That's not to say that degrading women, or violence is a good thing, just that maybe there is a lot of people who like the idea of a little 'gender amplification', but that isn't the current environment. Can you really say that there was nobody in your life that intimidated you and you wanted to do bad things to because of it?

However, I do think the V-Twin thing is a bit much. I'd like to see some stuff on the Brit Bikes.

fireworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:43 AM   #25
Fenton
Founding Member

History of the EGO.

I'm getting closer to canceling cable every day. With all the reality crap on these days there is no reason for anyone to have a life of their own.

On a upbeat note, those Exile bikes rock!
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:55 AM   #26
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

And what would that have anything to do with you wanting it to go away?
Old 03-01-2006, 08:07 AM   #27
acecycleins
Founding Member

If you don't "get" the chopper thing you will never understand. I ride a BMW K bike and have a '69 Triumph Chopper. Would I buy a $20,000+ rigid frame bike? Hell no! But I love my vintage bike and will easily ride 150+mi days on it. You can build a respectable modern chopper using the Buell M2 as your parts bike and get the whole thing done for around $8-$9K. In todays market thats a bargin. Fact is, they're fun because they're sooooooo basic. Isn't that where it all started?
Old 03-01-2006, 08:09 AM   #28
JLWarrior
Registered Member

Some of you who are really hung up about the whole chopper thing should open up your minds a little.

I did the chopper thing for 3 years, rode a 70 shovelhead chopper to Sturgis in 95. I had a lot of fun with it, you'd be surprised how fast a bike with 38 degree rake and 8" over forks can go on the backroads.

Now I have a Yamaha Road Star Warrior, but I've had several cruisers, sportbikes, dirt and dual purpose bikes over the years and they all are a lot of fun in their own ways.

Broaden your horizons, you might find something fun out there where you never expected it.

Oh yeah, even though I don't have a sportbike right now, I still follow MotoGP and AMA and World Superbike religiously. And I sometimes ride in a full face helmet and leathers, and sometimes in a brain bucket and a t shirt.

Don't pigeonhole people at first glance by what they ride and wear.
JLWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:10 AM   #29
bigdx
Founding Member

Default And sport bikes are not ass candy?

Ride an 180mph bike when the speed limit is 55mph? What would you call that? Do you call something other than posing?

I have been riding for more than 20 years and I see plenty choppers and cruisers on the road when I head out. I see very few folks on sports bikes out on the road. Most sport bike riders I know wouldn’t dream of venturing more than 30-40 from their homes on their bikes. I routinely make trips of several hundred miles – just for the sake of going for a ride.

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:14 AM   #30
acecycleins
Founding Member

Well spoken.... I have been to many track days and follow all roadracing and still love my trumpet.