Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Jesse James on T.V.? No way! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/3356-jesse-james-t-v-no-way.html)

Grover 03-02-2006 11:29 AM

Re: ever heard of motorcycle racing?

I'm a sportbike guy myself, but I "get" Harley's for the most part. Think of them as jewelry and little else and you're on your way. Why people get all riled up over this I'm not sure.

Anyway, the only real reason I'm posting this is to point out that it is a well documented fact that cruisers are virtually always able to out-break sportbikes. It has less to do with the quality of the brakes and more to do with the longer wheelbase and lower c.g. of the cruiser. Physics and all that.

gas_pig 03-02-2006 12:58 PM

Re: Jesse James on T.V.? No way!

I've been wondering the same thing.

Gluge 03-02-2006 04:10 PM

Re: ever heard of motorcycle racing?

I think like 90% of people speed, most probably don't know what a track day is, they probably just think they can go faster than the speedlimit safely, and if you did try to go 55 on the freeway it'd be a lot less safe with all the faster traffic out there.

0.01% have done a track day? I don't know maybe among your cruser friends, but of all the sport bike owners I know at least 75% have done a track day, and most want to.

the modern gsxr400's and most 600's will get much better mpg than a harley if your just crusing along on them.

no if your only going 55 your not accerating, but you have to accerate to get there.

Accerating from 0-60 in under 4 seconds is safe for merging on to the freeway, away from a light and other cars, or if you find yourself spliting lanes when the light turns green, you can hammer the throttle and get out before the cars start moving around.

insurance rates are probably higher because people with sport bikes ride and crash them a lot more than harley riders. (more an indication of the way they ride them, than the actual machine's safety) But I don't know the insurance on my ninja 500 is super low...

another thing I forgot to mention - suspention is better, maybe not more comfortable, but from a safety aspect it's better.

yes you can make a sport bike much more comfortable by adjusting the peg possition, and handle bar possition, or make a new seat pretty easy. (made one for my RS125 super quick)

Gluge 03-02-2006 04:17 PM

Re: And sport bikes are not ass candy?

sounds like your a pansy - if my 68 year old dad can ride a tinny RS250 aprila cup bike 600 enjoyable miles you should be able to handle a couple hundred on any mere GSXR ... but then I guess some people have soft asses?

sport bikes definatly aren't made for 2-up riding though, maybe a katana?

bigdx 03-02-2006 04:59 PM

Unlike you and your dad I did not spend time in prison so my ass has not been desensitized to pain ...

ofreen 03-02-2006 07:14 PM

Odd that you owned five of something you despised so much.

bigdx 03-03-2006 01:30 AM

At the time I had the same penile implant mentality you have now ...

ofreen 03-03-2006 04:52 AM

Hey, I think that was an insult. Not sure what a penile implant mentality is. Glad to hear you got over it though.

bigdx 03-03-2006 05:39 AM

My apologies – I thought it was another poster that habitually tries to bait.

I do not dislike (or despise) sports bikes, nor did I ever say I did. I enjoy watching MotoGP and WSB. If I had the time to attend track days, I would most certainly purchase one.

The fact of the matter is sports bikes do not belong on public roads. I used to be of the opinion that having the fastest (read most fashionable) bike would enhance my enjoyment of riding. That opinion was changed when I rode a friends hand shift/foot clutch sportster chop from Daytona after my SRAD expired. That showed me that at legal speeds other bikes are way more fun than sport bikes. Never bought another sport bike since riding that chop and more than likely never will.

If you really have no interest in riding fast a sport bike is the worst bike to ride, and if you do have an interest in riding fast you have no place doing that on public roads.

ofreen 03-03-2006 09:19 AM

No offense meant or taken. People's taste change, and as far as I am concerned, people can like what they want, and more power to them.

As for speeds on public roads, I believe there are four categories. Too dang slow, too dang fast, the speed I think is appropriate, and the speed limit. ha ha