Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-27-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
gear_head
Registered Member

Default Re: Put your gear on and survive falling off.

Pictures of the crashed gear, please.

Glad your'e OK.
gear_head is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2006, 01:28 PM   #2
johnmiller
Registered Member

It's stories like this, and a Fred Rau column, that cased me to put my half helmet away forever. Riding gear has gotten much better, and cheaper. I still don't wear my riding pants all the time, but armoured jacket, gloves, boots and full face helmet are always one no matter how hot it gets. I'm glad you're OK.
johnmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:13 PM   #3
gforces
Founding Member

If your kneecaps get busted, does that destroy your ability to walk forever?
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:21 PM   #4
12er
Founding Member

I'd rather have them busted than ground off.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:02 PM   #5
pudlepirate
Registered Member

sorry to hear of your missfortune, however fortunate, looking to get a 'stitch this spring. what are your riding impresions? I will assume the crashing impresion was favorable
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:19 PM   #6
mikenomad
Founding Member

Default Re: Pavement versus bare skin...

...to get an approximation, turn on a belt sander and just kind of lean your arm into it.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 06:17 PM   #7
LiionsRest
Registered Member

This kind of thing makes me just cringe when I see things like the Discovery Channel show about Sturgis. Camera zooms up and down main street where thousands of bikes are passing through. Not a helmet in sight. T-shirts. Sandals. Girls in bikinis.

What really astonishes me is them saying (paraphrased) "Todays bikers are likely to be professionals... doctors and lawyers, partly because of the cost of the (Harleys) bikes."

These people can't afford to, or are too dense to get some lifesaving gear?
Old 02-27-2006, 06:36 PM   #8
sarnali
Founding Member

I got clipped this summer on my Triumph on I-5 doing about 65mph. Long story short, bike was totaled, I did a few tumbles and slid on my belly for 15 or 20 yards. The end result was the Trophy totaled, my JR Ballistic 4.0 scuffed all over and ground through on the right forearm., my Shoei RF900 scuffed and faceshield scratched, my Olypmpic sport gloves ground through in a few spots, my Sidi On Roads scuffed a little, and my OD green Old Navy Cargos ground through in a few spots, and me getting beat to sh*t.

"47 year old bodies arn't meant to hit the ground at high speed" the ER Doctor told me, though him and the State Patrol, first responders and mostly me were amazed that I got up and walked away from it. The bottom line is protective gear saved me from a major loss of soft tissue and blood, armor in my jacket saved my shoulder and elbow from major damage, and my helmet kept my mug lookin' good. As it was my elbow was swollen like a melon and my back still hurts.

At the risk of offending some people who I consider friends, if you're riding without a helmet and gear you're asking for it. It's that simple. I've got almost 40 years of riding experiance and I thought skill and awareness would keep me safe. Well I was wrong, sometimes physics and geometry take over and there ain't a f*cking thing you can do but ride it out and hope you survive.

In my case it was typical West Coast D.W.A., suspended license, no insurance car load of gang-bangers f*ckin' around in traffic and me and some other guy who was in a cage but got hurt worse than me pay the price.

Wear your gear. Someday you'll need it.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 06:44 PM   #9
giuliom
Registered Member

Glad to know you were OK. I ride on Southern California freeways and I always wear armored jacket (Joe Rocket), helmet, gloves, boots (but often wear jeans). I figure it'll never happen to me, but if it does as I am going full tilt on the freeway

I'd rather be protected. I know it might not save me from injury, but I like the odds and stories like yours make me feel like it's worth sweating in the summer.

giuliom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:13 PM   #10
nesbit
Founding Member

Regarding P-Gear, "You can lead a horse to water, but - - - - - - -", or is this where the term horses ass derives from.
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote