Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-18-2006, 06:01 AM   #11
ThomD
Registered Member

Default Re: Hollister City Council Cancels Annual Rally.

I think the point was that there wasn't enough extra "tourist revenue" to justify the expense. City stafff tends to be pretty smart when they analyse these things. A quick estimate of the city's sales tax take: To make up $250,000 they have to sell more than $16.5 million in taxable goods (most of the sales tax goes to the state - never to return). That's $165 per person average. Probably harder to do than one might think.
ThomD is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2006, 06:08 AM   #12
sarnali
Founding Member

yup...

have fun storming the castle
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 07:55 AM   #13
Weezel
Registered Member

I would like to formally lodge a formal protest against the rampant "doctorism" that occurs on this website. The endless insulting, snickering, and disparaging comments against motorcyclists who happen to be doctors is degrading and humiliating and no different than sexism, racism and anti-religious remarks. There are many doctors who were bikers well before they went to medical school and lumping them into the other group of egomaniacal, materialistic, superficial, and tasteless physicians who later became poseurs is flatly unfair. I have no complaints regarding insults tossed at lawyers and accountants, but any other professional who can prove in writing that they had their motorcycle endorsement before their professional education should be immune from such blather. Henceforth, I think if you are going to make derogatory remarks about professionals or rich people who ride bikes, you should add in parentheses - ERPWRBBR - (Except Rich People Who Rode Before Becoming Rich). Thank you.
Weezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 08:32 AM   #14
racerjak
Registered Member

YEEEAAAAAAAAHHH!
racerjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:04 AM   #15
dylanmo
Founding Member

you serious?
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:31 AM   #16
GHam
Registered Member

They only have five councel members?We got seven!
GHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:35 AM   #17
imported_g_k
Registered Member

I would like to formally lodge a formal protest against the rampant use of computers by individuals who are so f***ing thin-skinned that they choose to take offense when anyone disparages the group they happen to be a part of. Here's a suggestion - if you don't like it, don't read it. Didn't med school teach you to develop a sense of what's important and what isn't?
imported_g_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:53 AM   #18
supermod
Founding Member

Full circle, huh? WHen I started riding(1962) you couldnt (didnt) ride a bike into Hollister. They hadnt forgotten. Was a little easier to cut communications then, I guess. Maybe they really expect an earthquake???
supermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:03 AM   #19
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Some sales tax math by ThomD

"To make up $250,000 they have to sell more than $16.5 million in taxable goods (most of the sales tax goes to the state - never to return). That's $165 per person average. Probably harder to do than one might think" ThomD
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:19 AM   #20
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

The tax revenue isn't solely related to a one time sales tax benefit. You should also factor in hotel taxes of which the lions share is retained by the city, as well as the additional sales tax revenue generated by the cascade effect when the city merchants spend the profits made from the rally. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote