Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-15-2006, 05:31 PM   #21
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re:typical

Well said. If folks just wear helmets we won't have to worry about some yahoo (Senator longride) wanting to ban motocycles
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2006, 05:53 PM   #22
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: MA Lawmakers Consider Change to Helmet Law.

No one seems to want to talk about the idea that use of Motorcycle Helmets reduces health insurance costs. Horse squeeze! NOTHING reduces health insurance costs.

If everyone lived to be a hundred, that would jack up the rates because insurance companies faced "longer exposures to long term obligations" or some such nonesense.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:42 PM   #23
nesbit
Founding Member

Wonderfully disturbing! You've described a economic construct in which the time honored supply and demand axiom is turned on its head. Now with every effort to conserve and reduce the demand, we are rewarded with a price increase.
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:05 PM   #24
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Now I get it.

He seems to be proposing that the State provide each licenced motorcyclist with a top-line helmet, then shoot us with bazookas.

Seems fair.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:18 PM   #25
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Basic economics, actually.

Some commodities are terribly resistent to price change based on a pure supply/demand equilibrium curve.

This is reffered to as "inelasticity." something that responds a LOT to price changes is said to be "elastic." For example, amoung adults, raising the price of a pack of smokes (even exorbitantly) produces almost no change in the demand for cigarettes. Thus, for the adult market, we'd say that demand is "inelastic." But amoung teenagers, who typically have little money, and are thus extremely sensitive to changes in price, we'd say that demand for smokes amoung teenagers is "highly elastic."

Likewise, gasoline, in the short and medium terms, demand is almost completely inelastic, that is: it changes almost not at all when price goes up, because it's necessary.

And yes, health insurance, because it's considered necessary, and in many places, mandated by law, is fairly inelastic in its demand relative to price. They raise prices, we keep buying it. And thus knowing they could do so once, they will continue to raaise price, because health insurance, given the place it occupies in society (called "externalities" in economics) is largely immune to much of pure supply and demand forces.

There are too many other mitigating factors.

Of course, from a realistic legal perspective, the only thing realtively sure to slow the growth in heath insurance cost is tort reform, that is: limiting the amount, in dollars, any one doctor can be sued for any one accident/mistake/phuckup.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:10 PM   #26
stefanistheman
Founding Member

Anyone who rides without a helmet is in the same category as anyone who rides drunk: you DESERVE to get killed.

Also, I don't care what the "Harley Heroes" say; open-face helmets should be banned.
stefanistheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:50 AM   #27
pplassm
Founding Member

What an awesome website!
Old 02-16-2006, 01:52 AM   #28
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re:typical

Gotta disagree with ya. How could anyone in Washington scramble their brains on the 6 o'clock news when you all have to wear helmets? So you think that the only time motorcycles are dangerous is when cars hit us? I have to disagree with that one too. I think they are dangerous all the time. Maybe that's why I'm still alive while thousands of helmeted ones that thought they ain't dangerous died.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:54 AM   #29
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I think anyone that is stupid enough to ride a motorcycle DESERVES to get killed. Hopefully your number is next.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:00 AM   #30
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Nobody has yet refuted the validity of my argument, including you. Helmets are like smoking low-tar cigarettes. You already made an unsafe choice, but want to somehow feel better about it.