Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-09-2006, 12:48 PM   #51
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: You've heard the phrase

Yeah, Amen. I was getting all set to post the single word "Darwin" when I saw how many had already had the same thought. I'm 60 now, and have stories just as scary and dumb as the one you related, and you're right, we survived as much through dumb luck as anything else.

You younger folks out there, remember, Darwin is always on the hunt, and he has no mercy.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2006, 12:53 PM   #52
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default As was said above what if we had today's 1,000 sport bikes back then...

As was said above what if we had today's 1,000 sport bikes back then?

I started out on the street driving my 67 Chevy pickup with 250 cubic inch in-line 6, which by the way I got several tickets in and managed to make my 18th birthday intact and buy a 340 RT Dodge Challenger with Hurst Pistol Grip.

I borrowed every friends bike I could get my hand on, a Honda 350, Honda 550 4, etc, etc. all of which are nothing compared to today's bikes.

If I had started out on a new 2006 GSX-R, RR, R1, Etc. Etc. I'm sure my 16 to 18 year old mind would have been writing checks that my body would not be able to cash!

When I was an Apache Helicopter Instructor at Fort Eustis Virgina I had a friend who owned a 1986 Ninja 900. One of the students borrowed it to run to lunch one day. He bragged it up how much racing experience he had. He never came back. While in down town Newport News in a 35 mph zone he left the highway at an exteme speed crashing into and eletrical pole. Needless to say the poor instructor was in trouble in more ways then one.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 01:32 PM   #53
rthaas
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcyclists pops wheelie, then crashes and dies.

bmwdude,

You must be the only biker in the world that's never done anything stupid and been lucky enough to live through it. Could you get $11 for me too so I won't have to read drivel like yours anymore.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:53 PM   #54
rpf_racing
Founding Member

Ok, I will admit that my first post seemed a little emotionally powerful, but my point is simple. That kid doesn't in a sense deserve to die any more than any of us do. Yes, he made a stupid mistake and paid for it. Now looking at that you can either sit back and laugh at the kid or realize the seriousness of the situation. OK, lets say that even if the kid had more training he wouldn't have acted any differently. Well that assumes that he couldn't have been changed in the first place which none of us have knowledge to assume. Second, I was just indicating that it is always good to have someone to help a new rider especially a yound testosterone filled kid who thinks he's invincible or just doesn't understand that a ticket is far better than death. Either way I still think it is sad, even in light of his bad choices, that some of us see this as something to be celebrated. If everyone of us was only valuable because of the number of good choices we make, we wouldn't be worth squat......

Ricardo
rpf_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:05 PM   #55
johnnyb
Founding Member

when u guys doing a story about new Buell XB-RR dammit? four of em going to be entered in daytona FX international field of talent... new engine makes 150 horsies and weighs 20 pounds less it is all in new Roadracing World. hellooooo is anybody home?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:27 PM   #56
tripletango
Founding Member

I feel so sorry for his parents.

Laws that allow so many freedoms are wonderful.

However when they allow young inexperienced riders to buy a vehicle that does 180 mph and accelerate faster than most vehicles on the planet.

It is a death warrant.
tripletango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 03:47 PM   #57
OhioSteve
Founding Member

Everyone does stupid things at 19. Thank God I didn't get "what I deserved" when I was a teenager.
OhioSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 03:54 PM   #58
brandenw
Founding Member

Default Re: Only thing worse than one bad driver

Sorry for the typo, but once you look at the grammar and spelling of 2/3s of the adults here a couple mistakes from a 17 year old don't look too bad.
brandenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 03:55 PM   #59
brandenw
Founding Member

Default Re: Only thing worse than one bad driver

won't look too bad.. anyways.
brandenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 05:44 PM   #60
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Are we even literate?!

C'mon are we even reading this thing? Johnny B had it when he said "Oh, no, cops never exagerate." How, on God's green earth, does this kid "make eye contact" with a bicyclist, if he's going 100 per? No, what it says, is that the kid "pulled up alonside" the pedal police, then made eye contact, then sped off. The cop is doing, what, 15-ish? I mean, he's patrolling a school zone, not racing the Tour de France.

I think it's reasonable to assume the bycicle cop did not have a speed gun or camera on his, um, vehicle. And the *perception* of speed will be greatly exxagerated to a slow bystander. The kid then makes contact with the Kia "about a quarter of a mile" later. About.

So, if that's accurate, sure he could've been going 100 miles per hour, if started by pacing the cop at 15 or so. But think, MOrons, think. How many tests have we read in these hallowed pages. Think about 1/4-mile times. That girl would have had AT LEAST 9 seconds to see him before he got to her. And that's if he's on a literbike, which is unspecified. A 600 is more likely, given what a 19 year old would've had to pay to insure a 1k. Then 10-12 seconds is what the girl would reasonably would have had to simply not proceed into the intersection.

No one among you has even asked if the kid was wearing gear. It's not mentioned in the story. If it turns out he was not, that's unfortunate. But if happened to be wearing a full-face helmet, shouldn't that make us question (at least a little bit) the veracity of the officer's "eye contact" statement.

And remember, that Randy Whats-his-name was very likely speeding too (so the forensics said) when he died t-boning former Governor Janklow's car. But I don't recal a single one of y'all saying it was his own darn stupid fault for dying.

Someone earlier said that "we live and we die. it's no more complicated than that." You know what? It sure is more complicated than that. We are Men, not amoeba. What we say and how we think about life has a huge impact on whether and how we value our fellow men. On the depth of our relations to them. On our ability to understandand perceive of right and wrong. What we say about the very real complexities of life determines much of what we believe about civil rights, human justice, and thence has a direct bearing on every aspect of our political system, that is: man's interaction with man. And what we say about death is at least as important as what we say about life. What we say about death bears not on men's interrelations, but on one man's internal dealings, how a man finds or misses his peace, his goals, his ideas about the reality and anture and state of things. You're darn tootin' it's more complicated than, "we live and we die."

Why are y'all so quick to believe uncritically in the possibly biased perspective of the news story? Why are y'all so quick to devalue the life of a young guy who scoffed at authority (who amoung you has stock pipes, and never exceed the speed limit)? Why are y'all so quick to take the bait, and tow the line? We're supposed to be thinking men here.