Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-11-2006, 01:16 AM   #101
DC_Dave
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcyclists pops wheelie, then crashes and dies.

If I had a dime for everytime I did something foolish on a bike throughout the years, I'd have plenty of cash left over after paying for the arthritis treatments for my various hard and soft tissue injuries. If you haven't landed a motocross bike crossed up, been thrown, and then had it land on you, you just haven't been riding long enough.

We're all shuffling off this mortal coil eventually--this poor guy used a long wheelie and a blast through the gears as his ultimate punctuation. Who's to say his way is any worse than any other? Bully for him!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2006, 02:10 AM   #102
BackStreet
Founding Member

Default 16 year old girl kills motorcyclist

The wheelie had NOTHING to do with it.

The rent a cop on a bicycle had nothing to do with it.

The real headline should be:

[b]16 year old girl kills motorcyclist says, "I did not see him!"
BackStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 05:25 AM   #103
ValkBandit
Registered Member

i think y'all are jealous that you can't pop a decent wheelie worth a damn. LOL!

hopefully the kid turned into his moto-outlaw lifestyle with complete knowledge of what he is gambling: his life. too bad it came up snake eyes for him.

anyone who has ridden any length knows the risks, and most of us take steps to minimize the risk, rather than maximize. this young man decided to maximize.

his choice. his bad luck. it is very poor form to ***** on his grave.

if there is an afterlife i hope the young man is astride a crisp-running sportbike that wheelies on command and never blows over backward and never intercepts an SUV.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 05:27 AM   #104
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default Re: 16 year old girl kills motorcyclist

let's be fair ... and honest. if you are going 100 mph on a public street it is awfully tough to see you coming.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 05:45 AM   #105
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Re: Yes, let's stop a second and think!

"She may not have had even a second to see him because...she may have had to turn her stereo up...and she never looked up."

Yeah, that was my point. She had the time; your sterling defense of her road-going ability confirms my strong suspicion: that she didn't use her time wisely or well.

I do not dispute that the rider was imprudent. But the assessment that he deserved death for being dumb is hypocritical on its face. And, as I believe we've demonstrated together, there's plenty of dumb to go around, especially in young drivers.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:47 AM   #106
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Thank you. Again, someone else says what I meant but shorter and sweeter.

But I guess my question is: Since we know that the three attitudes you've summarized are unhelpful ways of seeing the world, what *is* the good way of looking a these things? This is what I was trying to ask earlier, with my ruminations on how we look at life and death.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:16 AM   #107
ironbutter
Founding Member

Default Re: We live and we die.

>How people like you can go around

>pretending that every single life is sacred

>and meaningful is just beyond me.

Thank you. It is posts like that which remind us the Holocaust was not a fluke of history and could easily happen again. People of precisely the right mindset still walk among us and always will, because the only way to get rid of them would require that the rest of us think like them.
ironbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:11 AM   #108
rkwilson
Registered Member

HYPOCRITICAL--

OK guys. Was it wise to do what this kid did? Of course not. But come on.....how many of the sportbike riders in the world have pushed it on the road here or there. How many of you have pulled over to the side of the road at least once in your life with your heart going five hundred and taken a personal moment of silence and thanked the man you still are around. Maybe it was a few years ago....think about when you were 19....maybe not on a motorcycle....but I bet each of us has done some absolutely bone headed thing that could have gotten us killed.

This is just sad all the way around.
rkwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:27 AM   #109
nomad62
Registered Member

Stupid things I did on first bike (Honda XL 100): Jumped 10 foot high dirt ramp in vacant lot. Landed on abandoned ring slab from torn down house. Damage: one pair of nads. Down shifted from 4th to 1st at 40 mph to make turn onto my street in front of following swim coach (big crush on her). Damage: wounded pride. Trying to pull a Kenny Roberts around a turning circle in front of neighborhood hotties' house. Greasy mess in road. Did not work out so well, hottie not home, Her father scooped me and the bike up and brushed us off. Damage: broken mirror , clutch handle, numerous scratches to bike and myself. Accidents on same first bike: kid walked out in street in front of bike at night while I was doing about 30 mph. Hit kid with right handle and mirror breaking his jaw and knocking out several teeth. I went down and slid under parked car followed by the bike. Damage: surprisingly little to bike, broken wrist and major skin removal to back and leg, ruined down jacket and cracked helmet from collision with rear differential on car. Old man turned left in front of me at intersection. I stood on pegs, collided with car and went over the top landing on roadway. Damage: I don't remember. All these stunts were pulled and accidents happened while I was wearing rudimentary protection; helmet, gloves and jacket. In the 27 years since that 1st bike and I parted ways I'm always amazed that my Mother never got the sad phone call that the parents of this young man did. I know through my own experience that we can only do so much for preventing an accident and minimizing the damage, I'm just thankful I survived the "stunting " and acquired the riding skills to ride well today.
nomad62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:11 AM   #110
elranchero
Registered Member

one of the brakemen who works on the cable cars in san francisco used that same theory while explaining how some motorists dont yield the right of way to the cable cars.
elranchero is offline   Reply With Quote