Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Troops dying on bikes more often than in battle. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/3304-troops-dying-bikes-more-often-than-battle.html)

Badkat 02-05-2006 08:26 PM

Re: Troops dying on bikes more often than in battle.

Doesn't really surprise me, just sad is all

First post

bk6a 02-06-2006 02:41 AM

when i was at fort stewart someone would always dump a bike when we got off a deployment, but we didn't lose too many. these guys have chingas of money coming back from combat zones, and buy the biggest baddest bikes that are out there.

it'd be nice to if the coimmanders would set up courses on post where soldiers and marines (and sailos and airmen) could have low or no cost track time, prehaps in conjunction with training beyond the standard msf fare. there may be some issues to work out, but it would surely beat burying these guys when the make it back from their tours.

bmwdude 02-06-2006 02:45 AM

As it usually the case with this type of reporting, this story is sadly lacking in details that lend perspective.

Ex:

"According to safety records, nearly 350 troops have died on bikes since the 2001 terrorist attacks. That's compared to 259 killed while serving in Afghanistan."

350 out of how many troops/riders?

While I believe one death or injury is too many, this is sloppy reporting that uses a lack of information to put a sensational spin on reader perception.

Buzglyd 02-06-2006 03:38 AM

Welcome to journalism.

Casey_Daniel 02-06-2006 04:28 AM

As an Airmen, motorcycle instructor and individual that happens to watch the news this article is completely bogus. As I recall the death toll is up to around 2k something (Afghanistan and Iraq). Granted they presented Afghanistan for their death toll numbers but why not pick someplace even lower like Korea. Technically we're still at war with Korea. Why not state something like 0 deaths in the current Korean conflict and 259 in motorcycle accidents. Maybe if there was one death they could state something like your 259 times more likely to die on a motorcycle than in the Korean War. Man that would be great. Just call me the spin master.

Now that my ranting has subsided... Whatever happend to personal responsibility. It's a requirement for anyone in the military to have the MSF beginer rider course (BRC) prior to operating a motorcycle. Certainly the course doesn't prepare a rider for the performance of a sportbike but it does give technique for becoming a safe rider on the street. I ride a sportbike myself and always encourage anyone with a sportbike to continue their education after they leave the class. I think of it this way. Would the Air Force let a pilot take out a jet fighter after getting their pilots license at the local airfield to fly a cessna? No, the performance perameters of a modern jet are way beyond the skill set required to fly a cessna and it requires more training. The MSF curriculum increases the odds of a new rider staying alive greatly but it is training that was developed far ahead of the performance of todays bikes. I'll step off my soapbox now. If you made it to the end of this thanks for reading.

pplassm 02-06-2006 05:26 AM

Heavens, no! That would just encourage the lads! ;-)

teknoman 02-06-2006 05:36 AM

Well said young man,well said.

wolfpack_fan 02-06-2006 06:11 AM

Amen to that.
The local NC paper ran this article (front page on Sunday, great) with 2 pictures of "motorcyclists". One was of a serviceman doing a stoppie on a Repsol replica Honda in minimal protective gear, the other of a serviceman and his girlfriend standing next to a group of sportbikes parked in front of a sports bar, "giving her a kiss before riding to the next bar" or something to that effect. Seems to me that while lack of training may be a major culprit in explaining the deaths, pure stupidity would be the overriding reason.

Fenton 02-06-2006 06:36 AM

News flash, 100% of fatal accidents result in death. I was reading too much into it-The people that died on motorcycles didn't get killed in war!?

rsk173 02-06-2006 06:55 AM

What's lacking is proper debriefing once these guys get back. Maybe something should be set up to give these guys options as to where they put that combat pay. I would think a few examples of soldiers dying on motorcycles and vets begging in the streets would be a good start.