Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-07-2006, 06:56 AM   #31
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: Troops dying on bikes more often than in battle.

We are just beginning to pay for this war.

And it can't get anymore ridiculous than this.

Our dear president George Bush is going to visit the leader of Viet Nam this year - first diplomatic presidential visit since oh, lets see, before April, 1975?
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2006, 07:43 AM   #32
bollert
Registered Member

We get wound up when returning from deployment! Getting on a bike seems like a great way to unwind, especially after DREAMIN everyday about your bike sitting at home - trust me. I became obsessed with daydreams about my bikes after a while. Anyway, just like every spring, you have to refresh your skills and recalibrate your sense of speed when riding bikes. I always seem to give myself a little scare first day out after winter. Closing speeds when riding a ZX-10R can be a little surprising! These guys just need a little bird to remind them to ease into it. Maybe the demobilization briefing can mention this if the military really think it's a significant problem.
bollert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:11 AM   #33
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I don't know about being deployed but I went to Catholic school and I was crazy too!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:14 AM   #34
rsk173
Founding Member

I agree. There isn't always someone to blame when someone dies. I would like to see more G.I.'s being successful thats all. I figure someone's been given the tools to do a job in the military now give them the tools for life at home. We owe them.
rsk173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:23 AM   #35
sportriderjed
Founding Member

It is precisely comments like this that make it difficult for those with PTSD to admit there is a problem or that watching their friends be killed actually had an effect upon them. While returning combat vets do not have a monopoly on stupid behavior, the time they spend in a combat zone certainly effects their thinking when they return home. My point was not that PTSD causes mishaps, but that risky behavior after returning from a combat zone is not limited to motorcycles and that there is more than just "testosterone" involved.
sportriderjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:27 AM   #36
sportriderjed
Founding Member

Thats a good point. I grew a beard and bought a dirt bike and went motocross racing for the first time in 20 years when I got back. There has to be some let down/release...and some people do not like to talk about it. No body is talking to you when your riding
sportriderjed is offline   Reply With Quote