Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-06-2006, 11:30 AM   #21
salguire
Registered Member

Default Re: Troops dying on bikes more often than in battle.

I am with you on this one. 16 years in the Air Force, 2 years as an MSF and Streetmasters instructor, and more miles on bikes than I can count. I have 18 guys that I work with that have come back from the cesert in the last few months, a couple with Purple Hearts, and many want to ride. They have the cash to buy an R1 of GSXR100 and go kill themselves today. Being shot at everyday for 6 months changes a person. You are more appreciative of what you have but you also want to experience life before its gone. The BRC is motorcycle kindergarten, you are fully qualified to operate 125cc's in a closed parking lot. Teaching people how to ride comes from everyone that comes in contact with them, but I do not have their throttle in my hand to control what they do. Encourage everyone to take advanced schools, or simlpe things like a parking lot practice with your friends is a good thing. A bike will let you know in the first 6 months if it likes you or not. Take it slow, adding speed to bad technique just makes bigger crashes.
salguire is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2006, 11:57 AM   #22
joconne
Founding Member

I think the suggestion that the military provide stepped up training and funding for track days is sound. We all have a huge investment in these guys, most of them wind up returning to Afghanistan or Iraq for second or even third tours, and we owe them far more than the meager cost of trying to keep them safe while at home.
joconne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:22 PM   #23
sportriderjed
Founding Member

Default PTSD is the real issue here

I recently returned from deployment and I am not sure why all of this is news. What SHOULD be included is the increased numbers of deaths by automobiles, guns, STDs, and everything else that happens to returning combat vets instead of using motorcycling as the scape goat. Returning combat veterans have the overwhelming desire to LIVE...to experience everything to its fullest. The life is short syndrome. Personally, I cherish every moment with my children and ride even more slowly/cautiously. I was offered several "post deployment" questionaires, given several invitations to talk to others about how I feel, and told how to sign up with the VA. At the first visit with the VA, they asked all sorts of screening questions related to PTSD, which is really the crux of the issue. As for the mandatory motorcycle training, it is already required, though obviously not sufficient. The problem is not with motorcycles, it is what is happening inside the helmet. This last summer I took care of several redeploying troops from OIF and I am always amazed at how much suprise combat vets have when they hear that the nightmares and trouble sleeping, fighting with the spouse, the pervasive irritablility (short fuse syndrome), the tremors and jumpiness, and all of the of the other signs of PTSD are common among returning troops. The key is to recognize the symptoms and admit there is something going on. Interestingly, it usually takes a few months (it can take years) for the symptoms to start and all of the redeployment stuff is done by then, causing the person to think they are alone in this situation, or that they are going crazy. Truly, one of the most satisfying times in my medical career has been helping these guys see that this is pretty normal for returning vets and getting them some help. God bless these guys...They have been through a lot and some of them don't even know that it has/will have an effect on them.
sportriderjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:32 PM   #24
BillyO
Registered Member

Young men dying on motorcycles;stop the presses.

When I was 19 and 39 I suffered fron a terminal illnness--TSB--Terminal Sperm Build up.

you could have "De Briefed" me until the end of the world and NOTHING would have changed.By the way,I was a GI,too.

My era was Viet Nam and we were crazy ,too.

Lost some friends to both war,speed and drugs.

Bikes and booze were always a fatal combo.
BillyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:20 PM   #25
pudlepirate
Registered Member

not suprising, but sh#@ STILL happens, it's a bummer, but it is hardly news, motorcycle riding is somewhat risky, but nowhere near some other forms of reckless entertainment, in an effort to curb losses, the navy/ marine corps will like usual come up with some neat new "safety Directives", (read: dayglo vests) and the other services will probably adopt em. they will probably just try to ban motorcycle riding.
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:29 PM   #26
Casey_Daniel
Founding Member

What? Maybe it's the Air Force that'll come up with new directives that you guys will follow. Just joking. I think it would make sense to put a hp limit on new riders. 18 yr old with their first bike shouldn't get a GSXR because their buddy told them it's the coolest. Nothing wrong with riding a 600 for a few years. I prefer the 600 actually especially on the track.
Casey_Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:32 PM   #27
Casey_Daniel
Founding Member

Hey Salguire whered do you currently instruct?
Old 02-06-2006, 04:05 PM   #28
RonXX
Founding Member

A part of the problem is the ignorance of the non-riders in charge of the safety programs for the military riders. Unfortunately, when a servicemember dies in any particular way, the knee-jerk reaction comes from senior leadership to eliminate it from happening again. In the Navy, there has been talk of making the MSF BRC a required course every few years. Certainly anyone who has taken that course knows that it is only good for someone who has no idea what they are doing. So someone gets hurt/killed and everyone else is supposed to go through the same joke training again and again in order to prevent collisions. NONSENSE!

And any of this talk about PTSD and that being a factor in wrecks is also nonsense. A major contributing factor is testosterone. If you want to prevent speeding and risky behavior, then either inject every young military stud with estrogen or buy him a live-in hooker to rid himself of manly excretions.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:06 AM   #29
Casey_Daniel
Founding Member

Yeah, I'm sure that barely surviving day in and day out has nothing to do with a soldiers outlook on life or their will to enjoy every moment of it, or even their perception of risk. Just hootinanny if you ask me.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:52 AM   #30
sarnali
Founding Member

It's a time honored tradition to come home from the military, jump on a bike and party like a motherf*cker. That's how the first "biker gangs" got started after WW11 and the Easy Rider chopper craze kicked off in the '70's. I did the same thing when I got home and I wasn't even in a war.

After 4 years of living in a pressure cooker being told how to look and act, working 20 hour days the only thing that would have stopped me is getting killed. These kids are going through the same thing and dealing with the loss of friends and the horrible things they've seen and experianced in combat.

What do you expect them to do?
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote