Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-02-2006, 08:48 AM   #21
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Fuel Cell Motorcycle unveiled in Tokyo

All we have to do is put all us fat americans at the gym on treadmills that generate instead of burn electricity and we'll take care of most of the problems in the US today.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2006, 09:18 AM   #22
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

As you know, going to the gym solves just about every problem on the planet.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:33 AM   #23
teknoman
Registered Member

Default Re: Japanese will build nuke plants

So will WW3 over oil.Ooops! it,s started already
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:18 PM   #24
eojmo
Founding Member

ItÂ’s a good start, the predecessors to the motorcycles we ride today started out as nothing more than bicycles fitted with tiny engines. Its great to see someone is planning to keep some form of motorcycle around in the future. As for the knockers, get your heads out of your arses and see the light. The US is already burning up two thirds of the worldÂ’s energy and choking in vehicle traffic!

With China and India coming on full steam and their consumerÂ’s wanting cars, air conditioners and all the other gadgetry, like it or not, the supply of oil is rapidly running out. Unfortunately itÂ’s become a national pastime chastising and demonising people as tree hugging greenies, when they try to create alterative energy saving devices or suggest conserving a bit of the natural environment for the future.

eojmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 04:25 AM   #25
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Repeat after me ...

electricity doesn't have to come from fossil fuels.

There you go. I knew you could.
m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 04:29 AM   #26
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Joke all you want.

The cost of wind power and solar power keeps dropping while the cost of fossil fuel generated power keeps climbing. The day will come when the curves cross and then our grandkids won't remember what the heck that 'oil' stuff we were all fighting over back in the early 21st century was.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:56 AM   #27
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

You sound like a friend of mine - firmly stuck in the now.

The superbike company they interview said plainly that their batteries were smaller, more effiecient, cheaper and more powerful at the end of 2005 than they were in 2004. They described the growth of the battery technology as a Moore's Law for batteries.

One's mindset determines one's mind, as my Dad always says. Do you carp about wind power being twice as expensive as fossil fuel power ... or do you crow that it used to be ten times as expensive and is rapidly catching up?
Old 02-03-2006, 05:41 AM   #28
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default Re: Excellent point.

Derbi GPR50

180 lbs, 6.6 kW = 27.27 lbs/kW

Derbi GPR125

265 lbs, 11 kW = 24.09 lbs/kW

Derbi Electric

298 lbs, 10+ kW = 29.8 lbs/kW

On paper, the power to weight ratio is slightly worse, yes, but the big difference in torque made the bike much faster on the track. That power to weight ratio, though, will only get better with electrics, which are essentially a new vehicle at the beginning of the development curve.

The 45 mile range on the electric is enough for me to get to work and back and then some. I'm actually thinking about buying one, so I'll let you know if I do and I'll do a review for the site.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:09 AM   #29
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

FYI I designed and installed a fairly large solar electric system for a remote home that I used to own. I have kept abreast of battery technology for some time now, and have yet to see any major breakthroughs in battery energy storage. The electric motorcycle was faster, but with a markedly shorter range. The "lighter" battery packs are very expensive and do not provide a significant mass to energy storage ratio advantage. BTW wind generators are a pain in the a$$ to maintian compared to solar panels. Don't ask me how I know.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 08:43 AM   #30
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: Japanese will build nuke plants

Good point
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote