Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-30-2006, 06:39 AM   #11
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default Re: Motorcycle rights group supports stop-look-go legislation.

I don'y know for sure where you are, but in Denver the sensors are tripped by the em field of the vehicle, not weight as stated in the article. I usually just pulse the starter once or twice and the light changes (my buddy on the BMW doesn't have that option-it sounds like he's grinding coffee if he tries). I have called the traffic engineer's office and (supposedly) they've adjusted the sensitivity to allow for bikes at intersections I've complained about, but I've never heard why they need to be adjusted in the first place.

Bryan...FWIW...
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2006, 07:11 AM   #12
bmwdude
Founding Member

It's the illuminated neon sign on the outside of your town's corner pup or tavern. They can also be found in the window of houses of ill repute.
bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:19 AM   #13
bmwdude
Founding Member

It would be nice if the stop, look, go tactic were legal. Even though I've always done it.

I've never been ticketed for doing so.

I think most metro area police are wise to the situation.
bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:24 AM   #14
Grover
Founding Member

The best way to trip those sensors is to shutdown and restart your bike. The magnetic field generated by the starter motor is enough to do the trick. It's worked for me the first time, every time.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:27 AM   #15
Grover
Founding Member

REPOSTING AT THE TOP, with more commentary:

The best way to trip those sensors is to shutdown and restart your bike. The magnetic field generated by the starter motor is enough to do the trick. It's worked for me the first time, every time.

If you know it's coming I recommend shutting the bike down before you come to a stop and starting it up again as soon as you're over the sensor, this way you're not a sitting duck with your engine off waiting to get rear-ended.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:21 AM   #16
Tigercub
Founding Member

Does that work? I have a couple of these donut magnets and I found one in the bottom of my Ford transmission pan a couple years ago. I always wondered if they were placed there to trip light signals. It didn't seem to have any other purpose.

Is that what they're for? They are really strong magnets.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:25 AM   #17
Tigercub
Founding Member

I use the stop-look-go method. But I'd be willing to stick one of those tranny donut magnets on the underside of my bike. Would that work?
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:33 AM   #18
sick
Founding Member

In AZ a red light is conditional. If there is no traffic within 500 feet (I think, maybe 1000?) you treat it like a stop sign. Stop, Look, Go. Most people don't know about the law, and are surprised when I do it. My driving instructor told me about it when I was a pup.

It just makes sense to me. I've always done it like that where ever I am, never had any problems. I thought it was like that everywhere.
sick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:08 AM   #19
mii54ws
Founding Member

Here in Monterey CA, some intersection traffic lights have been "updated" to optical devices and nothing is inbedded in the road. AND some of these simply do not see me on my 800 lb Vulcan. So I treat these signals as a flashing red light. IN FACT, I asked a CHP officer and he said exactly the same thing.
mii54ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:27 PM   #20
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

LOL thanks for the tip. I have a degree in Electrical Engineering and I never thought about doing that. Like my wife says engineers are real great in the common sense dept. or maybe she was just talking about me. Next time I'lll try it. Thanks Grover.

Idiot in Seattle

kpaul
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote