Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-29-2006, 06:44 AM   #1
yellowduc_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Road rage suspected in biker death

At the risk of poking a guy when he is down, I have one question. Front brake?
yellowduc_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2006, 06:55 AM   #2
sforbes
Registered Member

Read the whole column. In this case it took two to tango, and bike versus SUV, bike loses.
sforbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 07:09 AM   #3
sv1000rider
Founding Member

Anger and motorcycles just don't mix. And why do many cage drivers get SO PISSED when you pass them?
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 07:33 AM   #4
ofreen
Registered Member

Remember the old George Carlin bit about drivers? If they are driving slower than you, they are road hogs. If they are driving faster and pass you, they are d*mn fools. Either way, in some people's minds they don't deserve to live. Or at least, they need to be taught "a lesson."

Another aspect is that some people like to be in front. In their minds, being in front means they are 'winning.'
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 07:35 AM   #5
bigdx
Founding Member

Default Takes two to tango?

Takes two to tango? Are you on medication or what?

"He also conceded passing Stern because he was angry and hitting his brakes "to teach him a little bit of a lesson," according to court records."

The biker is dead because of an angry assh0le wanting to teach him a lesson! You do not teach people lessons on the road (or anywhere else for that matter)
bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 07:58 AM   #6
sarnali
Founding Member

The SUV driver appears to be angry because the motorcyclist passed him on a double yellow. In my experiance this really pisses people off, that's why I never do it. Being passed in a legal passing zone doesn't have the same psychlogical effect as passing on a double yellow because that's "cheating"..

SUV driver shouts out the window -through his anger- "have a nice day"

bike rider flips him off..

SUV driver passes him again then slams on the brakes, end of story.

Driver then leaves the scene, but returns when the police pass him, lies to the investigating officer, then his own sister and her husband call bullshyt and tell what really happened.

Pretty cut and dried case, the guys guilty of road rage and causing the motorcyclists death, he has a history of anger management issues and this time getting passed on a double yellow was all it took to set him off to the point of killing someone. Save the tax payers some money and hang him. he'll do it again as soon as he's out of jail.

The lesson for us as mototrcylists is don't pass on the double yellow. it really sets people off, more than you can imagine.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 09:51 AM   #7
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Thoughts from Gabe

1. Clearly this is premeditated murder. Involuntary manslaughter my a$$. If he had ran after the guy with a hammer and hit him in the back of the head with it, that would be first-degree murder. I fail to see the difference, other than the fact that Stern was on a motorcycle and was somehow "asking for it".

At common law, murder is the intentional killing of a human being with "malice aforethought". That just means you had bad thoughts that made you do something known by most people to result in serious injury or death: like swooping in front of a 60 mph motorcycle and slamming on your brakes. If he was on a sportbike, you could argue that wouldn't result in certain death, but a 111-foot skidmark at 60 mph? That's absurd.

2. Harleys kill. No SUV on earth can stop fast enough in front of my Triumph to cause me to dump my bike. I've had this same situation happen to me twice that I know of. Both times -- once in the rain, no less -- I was able to just laugh at the attempted murderer and ride away, because I had the sense to ride a motorcycle that could out-accelerate, brake and handle any car I'd be likely to meet. I try not to provoke people in Porsches or Ferraris.

3. Provoking cagers intentionally is dumb, but what's even dumber is letting them pass you after you've pissed them off. Even a Harley can do 98 mph, which is faster than an Exploder. If you think the guy's mad at you and wants to play, haul ass like your life depended on it. People in cars can kill you and get away with it. I've lost one riding buddy that way.

Is the AMA pushing "Hate Crime"-esque legislation that would increase penalties for intentional killings of motorcyclists with cars? I doubt it!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:12 AM   #8
ofreen
Registered Member

Default Re: Thoughts from Gabe

Why imply criticism toward the AMA for not pushing "hate crime" legislation for crimes against motorcyclists? Murder is murder, isn't it? Why should penalties be worse for killing motorcyclists than for anybody else? "Hate crime" legislation is bad public policy, no matter who it supposedly "benefits."
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:12 AM   #9
sarnali
Founding Member

I think the guy stomped on the rear brake and hung on, that's the only way to generate those kinds of numbers. Granted the brakes on my Dyna aren't as good as any of the other bikes I've owned but properly using the front and rear brake can haul them down pretty quick.

What's interesting is how much effect the rear brake has on the Dyna. on most of the sportier bikes I've owned the rear brakes wasn't terribly effective because of chassis dynamics and weight distribution under hard braking. On the Dyna the rearward weight bias and long and low chassis makes the back brake considerably more effective.

While I was re-acclimating myself to Harley riding I spent alot of time practicing brakeing from different speeds and once it dawned on me to use the rear brake as aggessively as the front I got pretty comfortable with it.

Like you said, provoking cagers, then letting them get anywhere near you is terminally stupid, as this poor fellow found out.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:34 AM   #10
12er
Founding Member

I just dont get this whole "Hate Crime" Cr@p, a crime is a crime. Its just our "Law Makers" trying to justify their jobs with a trendy catch phrase.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote