Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-30-2006, 02:13 AM   #31
GPgirardi
Registered Member

Default Re: Road rage suspected in biker death

If you are my way, get the "f" out of my way.

If I pass you, chill out!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2006, 02:15 AM   #32
GPgirardi
Registered Member

Never flip them off, just go!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2006, 02:21 AM   #33
GPgirardi
Registered Member

Sad first post. You should have used your front brake and not posted.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:24 AM   #34
GPgirardi
Registered Member

Don't tango with a cage, just go!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2006, 06:12 AM   #35
gniewko
Registered Member

Passing on a double-yellow may be technically illegal (though not always), but it's rarely dangerous. In most places double-yellow lines are painted for no good reason.

Usually double-yellows indicate not any sort of danger, but are just evidence of utter laziness of whichever government agency is responsible for them. They don't want to bother figuring out where passing is actually dangerous, so they paint double-yellows everywhere.

I have seen a number of cases where a road had a dashed yellow line, then they resurfaced it, and when the lines were repainted a double-yellow showed up. Nothing else changed on the road. Did that yellow line suddenly make it more dangerous to pass there?

Apparently painting those double-yellows everywhere is illegal. I remember reading somewhere that (at least in NY) a no-passing zone has to be supported by a DOT traffic study. If you get a ticket for passing on a double-yellow, and such a study wasn't done on that particular road (any guesses as to the probability of that?), you may be able to get your ticket dismissed, and even force the local government to repaint the lines. That's why I wrote in the beginning that passing on double-yellow may not be always illegal. I haven't tested this myself, so YMMV.

And of course motorcycles can safely pass where heavy, slow cars can't.
gniewko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:34 AM   #36
ValkBandit
Registered Member

agreed.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:14 AM   #37
Tigercub
Founding Member

I like double yellow lines. They let me know that there is less room ahead for passing.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:43 AM   #38
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

In spite of the other's comments, this is a good point. The skid mark made by his motorcycle was measured to be 111 feet long. If he was going 60mph, as the article states (though wether this was his pre- or post- brake [crash] speed is unclear), then a skilled braking maneuver, using the front brake, would bleed off enough speed in 111 feet that he would have been travelling at only walking or jogging speed when he went down. Modern sportbikes can stop as quick as the best-braking sports cars on the road from 60mph, which is a bit over 100 feet (comparable to the 111). Maybe a Harley can't stop quite as quick but it could slow down a lot.

Unless he was travelling far in excess of 60 mph (unsafe when trailing another vehicle, and would leave him rapidly approaching it from the rear), then it would appear that this rider was not too skilled in the braking department. He grabbed a footfull of rear brake and not much, if any, of the front.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:51 AM   #39
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: Thoughts from Gabe

Agreed that after passing someone on a double yellow, you don't amble along and let them catch up. Granted I ride an R1 on the street and not a Harley, but when I pass someone, not only is it a pass at a speed *much* greater than their speed, but that speed is maintained until I am well ahead (or just maintained permanently). They don't, and never will, have a chance to make their feelings known about my riding habits (unless they happen to have the same destination as I.) Riding on the street, my policy is to never give cagers a chance to give me a piece of their mind. If they have an issue with my riding, they can sit fuming or yell at themselves while I dissapear into the distance.

Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:10 AM   #40
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Not sure what area of the country to ride in, but by my experiences driving around the US, I wouldn't call them pervasive. Most areas I see them, I see the reason for them (rapidly upcoming corner, road dips just a head, etc).

Having driving overseas in SW & SE Asia, I see more 'No Passing Areas' in those area's of the world than I see in the States.

Yet to experience Europe... Looks like maybe next tour.