Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-24-2006, 11:40 AM   #31
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re:

"Anyway, in ALL the press you've seen on these bikes have you ever seen a scathing review? I think not."

I have never even seen one of their bikes reviewed anywhere. All I ever saw were prototypes. Never saw one on the road, and I live in a major metro area and have been all over the country. By building them 'exotic', do you just mean 'slow'??

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2006, 11:46 AM   #32
pudlepirate
Registered Member

Default Re: Confederate VS Buell

buy a "totaled" gixer, Ie has all the fairing scrubed off (this will save you the anguish of scrubing it off yourself, Take it from someone who knows) put some dirtbike bars on it and have at! visit www.streetfightersusa.com (I think, might want to google it though) for a few examples. this route is good for sportbike performance, stone axe reliability and above all low cost. you might even end up with something to be proud of! and if not, it will be fast enough that noone will be able to recognize you
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:51 AM   #33
johnnyb
Founding Member

i remember one a few years ago that sheared all the splines off the output shaft i think it was—and that was "specially prepared" magazine bike.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:58 AM   #34
lwatcdr
Founding Member

f you REALLY REALLY wany pushrods, buy a John Deere.

Or a Corvette. Take a look at the latest and greatest Corvette. Yes it uses pushrods and still makes a good amount of power.

If this guy is a new rider the first thing I worry about is how he "feel in love with" the looks of the wraith. Motorcycles are ment to be ridden not looked at. Good looks is nice but shouldn't be the number one priority. For a first bike it should be the last.

For a first bike you should look for.

1. Handleing and that includes brakes.

2. Comfort.

3, Reliability

4, Cost

5. Enough power. Not to much but enough to keep up with traffic and to pass if need be.

Once you know how to ride and ride well then come up with your own list.

Think about it. Should a new driver jump right into a Corvette? Should a new pilot jump into an F-22 as a first plane?

Why should a new rider jump on an RC-51?

lwatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:12 PM   #35
ginzero
Registered Member

Default Re: You are at the wrong web site.

Another great Buell site..

http://www.badweatherbikers.com
ginzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:50 PM   #36
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default Re:

You don't read Cycle World? They did a little article on one about a year ago- or so.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:05 PM   #37
christian_gates
Founding Member

Why would you want Confederate "nasty"? That's about as nasty as a kitten. Get a 1000cc race-rep. Then you'll get something that's authentically nasty. And as you have cash, you can convert it into something that's far more terrifying than nasty, assuming you want to put that cash into the engine and chassis.

V2 bikes, with some exceptions mentioned here in another post, are not, in fact, hard charging. They SOUND hard charging. Sometimes they even LOOK hard charging. But at the end of the day, they're more show than go.

Which eventually blows, because you can't see the bike when you're on it, and parking it and standing around your bike makes you look like a tool. Complete tool. I've seen it. It's hilarious initially, then simply pathetic.
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:23 PM   #38
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

Man, some of you guys are wound pretty tight. Perhaps I should clarify...I don't care about Confederate--their reliability, quality, or even their existence. I just think their bikes are pretty cool. No I've never ridden one, but they strike me as different than the Customs on TV, except in price, which is why I'm not getting one. I thought it might be cool to talk about a hypothetical project in which a guy who has been riding for a handful of years steps up to a slightly more powerful bike and over time, on the cheap makes it even more powerful and different from other bikes. I think the Buells are pretty cool and would be a good jumping off point but perhaps I was wrong. I stand corrected. I'll just keep riding the Thunderbird, continue to have a blast on it and wish I could afford the insurance on the next step up. For safety's sake I will stick with 65hp and none of you need to worry. Just remember, I don't give a damn about Confederate, so it's really not worth starting an argument over. Thanks for all the help.
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:42 PM   #39
bowtydaddy
Registered Member

I recommend an older tube frame Buell, I've owned a couple and currently own a '98 Cyclone. Low mileage examples can be had for 5 grand or less. The 01 an 02 are more desirable. They are reliable, easy to modify and a blast to ride.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:45 PM   #40
iamz
Founding Member

I could insure 4 bikes with full coverage for less than $600. About $125 to $130 each. Pretty sure Mpls MN ain't the boonies. In any case, I'd choose living in the boonies any day over living in NYC. Must be loads of fun speeding along in grid-lock (woohoo). Can't think of anything more fun than that.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote