Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-24-2006, 04:57 AM   #11
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Re: Confederate VS Buell

Better move to Nebraska.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2006, 05:08 AM   #12
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: This poster has no even a single clue...

In casey you haven't noticed, KPaul is still floating around here. New handle, same dimbulb.

Apparently he makes more money than anyone on this site though.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:55 AM   #13
bboule
Founding Member

You want a more "mean" bike in this category skip the Buell and go get a Triumph Speed Triple.

More torque then the buell XB12 models anywhere, from a lower RPM to a much higher RPM. +30hp, better handling, better brakes, MSRP is $500 less. Oh and way less vibration.

bboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:12 AM   #14
sarnali
Founding Member

I'd get either the Buell XB9 or the Speed Triple. The Confederate is a cool bike but Harley clone manufacturers have a very high mortality rate. I wouldn't expect them to be around long term as anything more than niche market player. With Triumph and especialy Buell you have a dealer on every corner, that's worth more than money when it comes to parts and maintanance items down the road.

I think the Buell will have more than enough power for you out the door, I'd focus on developing skills and riding technique before I started throwing money at it for enhanced performance you're not going to use anyway. Save your money for tires and oil changes.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:29 AM   #15
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re: This poster has no even a single clue...

...Didn't he have to "save up" to buy a new battery, though?

I mean, I only push carts and pump gas for a livin' and I can afford a new battery...

Maybe it all goes towards german weight trainers and HGH.

BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:40 AM   #16
acecycleins
Founding Member

This is the deal. Port and polish the heads, switch to a Crane cam and ignition, Run a Davinci or Mikuni carb and swap the pipes for a Supertrapp. That will build the power to roughly 115hp depending on how the carb is set up. Oh, did I mention that you should buy used and look for a M2 Cyclone model. You can get them all day and night for $4000-$5000 and trick them out pretty good. If you step up the suspension a little and put on some PM brakes You'll be just fine. As far a Ins is concerned you'll be able to find coverage for as little as $500 annually but bank on the $750 range.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:49 AM   #17
acecycleins
Founding Member

Did you realize that Confederate has over a decade of "clone" business? Just because the company uses Evo Style push-rod motors doesn't mean they are clones. These guys have been doing it different for awhile.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:09 AM   #18
Rsduce
Registered Member

Buy an MV Brutale and you'll have the best of both worlds!
Rsduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:17 AM   #19
Tigercub
Founding Member

What a strange question. Save a bunch of money and buy an older sportster engined Buell. Then, watch all those American Chopper, Monster Garage, Biker Build-off shows, buy an angle grinder, MIG welder and drill press at your local hardware store and have at it!! Be sure and let us know how it turns out when you're done.

P.S. You can do real well with spray can paint jobs, but you need to practice a lot. Make sure the metal is very clean before you start. Don't be afraid to sand off a coat or two and respray. And don't spray in the wind. Use engine enamal on brackets etc and bake them in the oven for a couple hours at 400F. Even bolts can be sprayed that way (not on the threads). You'll be surprised how well it all turns out.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:45 AM   #20
sarnali
Founding Member

They've been around awhile and I think they build pretty decent bikes, but they're still a very small player in a very big pond. On a national level or even a state level you're not going to get the kind of support from them that you'd get from a company like Buell/HD or Triumph
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote