Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-11-2006, 07:26 AM   #1
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Florida State drops helmet proposal.

Yeah, like 50 grand would pay the medical costs for smacking an unhelmeted head on the asphalt anyway. Just another idiotic move by those who govern us to make it look like they are actually doing something for the money that they extort form us.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2006, 07:27 AM   #2
jpp
Founding Member

CA SB 969 making helmet use voluntary ( info here ) got voted out of transportation and off to appropriations on 1/10/06
Old 01-11-2006, 07:47 AM   #3
louismfried
Founding Member

I am amazed that there is no compulsory helmet law in Fla. and other states. Here in Ontario there has been a compulsory helmet law and safety course for years and the two together definitely saves lives. It seems that those who choose to ride without a helmet do not value their lives very much. The argument about government interference is rubbish. Helmets save lives. Plain and simple.
louismfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:57 AM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

I ride with a helmet without complaint. I do understand the arguement for riding without. As an insurance guy, however, I believe that if you choose to ride without a helmet then it's your responsibility to provide insurance to cover your medical expenses in case of trauma. It is not the tax payers responsibility to repair your injuries. After you obtain proper health care coverage the state dmvs can provide an endorsement on your license saying so. If you are caught up in an accident riding helmetless and do not have the endorsement then the hospital should have the right to refuse services. A portion of my taxes should not be used for anothers stupidity. But then again, I also believe that illegal aliens should be refused services that are provided by tax payer money. How insensitive of me.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:00 AM   #5
Haird
Founding Member

So insurance companies aren't leaping forward to write polices covering the helmetless motorcylist risk. Wonder why not?
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:16 AM   #6
acecycleins
Founding Member

It's not really like that. In most cases the companies or the agencies never even know. But to be fair, the companies do lobby on the side of manditory helmets for a reason. Law suites hurt us all. If we ever want to see the m/c insurance industry stablize then we should expect to see consumers use common sense when riding. That won't happen as long as ABATE and some other smaller organizations don't back off this idea.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:30 AM   #7
mts
Founding Member

One of us must have brain damage, because you just said exactly what I was thinking!
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:43 AM   #8
12er
Founding Member

As long as Insurance is Gov mandated and for profit there will be no stablization.

"Use common sense" What planet have you been on? If people used common sense we wouldnt need insurance in the first place.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:54 AM   #9
Haird
Founding Member

Of course the responsible thing for riders is to buy insurance to cover the increased risk they expose themselves to as a result of participating in the sport. It would be even more responsible to take prudent precautions, such as wearing helmets, protective boots and other clothing, and taking formal rider training. I suppose an argument could be made, and often is (at least by my wife) that the really responsible thing to do is not to ride at all. But, since we can't all live in antiseptic bubbles you have to draw the line somewhere. I personally choose to draw it at wearing proper protective gear, not riding while impaired by substances, fatigue or emotion, or in weather that is unreasonably bad (such as snow or ice on the roads). Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing my preferences enshrined in law, but clearly not everyone agrees, and as a believer in democracy I'm comfortable going along with that.

As far as hospitals refusing service to injured cyclists or even illegal aliens, I can't go along with that. The mission of a hospital and any health care worker is (or should be) to treat first and ask questions later, at least in the case of a medical emergency. This principle is reflected in the federal law known as EMTALA (emergency medical treatment and active labor act), which requires hospitals to provide care to emergency patients without regard to ability to pay. It effectively makes it illegal to even discuss fees with an emergency patient before treating them. It was passed mostly to prohibit refusing life-saving treatment to uninsured patients (who currently make up about 16% of the US population), a practice also know as "dumping."

This law is financial bad news for hospitals, and is really unfair to them economically. It actually threatens the existence of many hospitals and the overall availbility of the trauma services we all rely on in emergencies.

In my view it is just another good reason why we should adopt some form of universal health insurance coverage.

Howver, it is good policy in that it relieves emergency medical personnel from trying to adjudicate whether or not someone financially or legally qualifies for emergency services, thereby making it possible to do their lifesaving work without uneccessary delay or extraneous concern. To bring the issue home, would you like to have your life at risk because your ambulance was diverted multiple times after a motorcycling injury -- or any other injury or illness -- because the cops or paramedics couln't find your driver's license/insurance card/bith certificate or passport? I know I wouldn't.

As I said, this is really unfair to hospitals, which bear the legal and financial burden of treating uninsured patients. But it is ufair to us all, because these financial burdens can't be borne indefinately, and have already resulted in a loss of emergency services to many inner city and rural areas, where rates of uninsured patiens are highest. But until we as a society directly address the financial aspects of whether and to what extent health care is a right (vs. a commercial product), we will continue to have this problem.

Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:04 AM   #10
teknoman
Registered Member

I have seen a cracked egg[helmetless] rider injury when I used to work in emergency rooms.Odd how much of the brain is liquidand squishy...
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote