Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-12-2006, 07:30 AM   #51
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Florida State drops helmet proposal.

Those people utilizing the emergency room as the free clinic are there courtesy of our esteemed legislators.

The law is called EMTALA and it has caused hospitals to close emergency rooms completely. The people who won't take any responsiblity for their lives will always find the freebies.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2006, 08:06 AM   #52
LWS66
Founding Member

You complain that you don't want your tax dollars paying for somebodies head injuries from not wearing a helmet? Some don't want their tax dollars going to schools. Many don't have kids, why the hell should they pay for that? Why should our tax dollars help fund anything? I don't believe in bank rolling anybody for anything....... that should take the topic to it's final conclusion.....Funny how we can pick and choose........
LWS66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:01 AM   #53
acecycleins
Founding Member

The basic tax base is there to take care of your "local" gov't needs. When I was single and not a father I saw no need for my tax dollars to fund schools. Then I grew up became a homeowner and then understood what money was needed for and where it went. The fact is that head trauma from motorcycle accidents are far more numerous and more likely on bikes than in cars. However, for the un- or underinsured, ALL medical bills rendered should be the responsibility of the accident victim. If they are not the at fault party then the at fault party should pay. But that is not the argument here. The argument is when Jim Bob cracks his nut then should Jim Bob pay? The answer is yes he should and the hospital should take all measures to recover money owed. Jim Bob should not be allowed to skip out on payment. Nor should he be allowed to Backrupt himself to avoid payment. That's the real argument from my side.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:26 AM   #54
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default acecyleins

Quit your boring whining you sniveling wienie. Apparently you must of cracked your egg years ago. Aside from that, can you give me an insurance quote?
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:36 AM   #55
flamingbuddhagirl
Founding Member

Florida rider here. Do you know what happened to one of the instrumental forces behind the repeal of the helmet law in Florida? It was a woman whose name escapes me but anyway...This woman was leaving the parking area of her building on her bike with her daughter following behind her in a car. Someone stopped a car in the middle of the way so the woman went to go around the car, she put her foor down, hit some grease or oil lost her footing and her heavy cruiser went over. The woman hit her head on the curb and died instantly in front of her daughter. How sucky is that? This happened right after the helmets were repealed too.

I used to race bicycles and have seen helmeted riders lose consciousness in crashes. To wear a helmet on my much faster and heavier motorcycle was a (pardon the pun) no-brainer for me. I was against the helmet laws until I saw the numbers of how much it costs taxpayers after the person dies in the ER. Now I have to say I see the reasons behind the helmet laws. Still don't know if I would want it to be mandatory though.
flamingbuddhagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:43 AM   #56
flamingbuddhagirl
Founding Member

Then a motorcycle rights group (primarily cruiser/domestic bike types) got together and demanded that the helmet law be recinded, which it was. I always thought they should have used their power to get us things like legalized lane-splitting, designated motorcycle parking spaces, etc., which would have actually encouraged motorcycle use.

God YES!!! Let's get together and do these down here! I'm all for it. With all the riders we have we should have no probs raising money if we need to for getting the word out. We have NO motorcycle parking anywhere here in Miami. I'm always amazed if I find a parking lot that has one.

flamingbuddhagirl is offline   Reply With Quote