Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-12-2006, 05:09 AM   #41
Grundoon
Registered Member

Default Re: Florida State drops helmet proposal.

. . . or put those people into indentured servitude to the hospital until the debt is paid. Let them work it off!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2006, 05:12 AM   #42
teknoman
Registered Member

Default Re: Helmets, etc.

Only when I,m in bed ...by myself
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:22 AM   #43
teknoman
Registered Member

Oh! I forgot to tell you ,I had to hold the cracked egg,s head together while he was thrashing around, and the doc,s had to tie him down ,intubate him[put a tube down his throat to breathe],and then tape his skull together,sedate him and off to the OR.He didn,t make it.I,m for people,s rights,BUT it just makes good sense to wear a helmet,right?I mean we wear gear to protect most of our body,why not the brain?I could be wrong,but man you had to be there.
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:56 AM   #44
bigjames
Premium Member

Why in the hell do we even bring this subject up. It is proof that opinions are like a$$holes. Everybodies stinks, but your own...

First, most medical insurance covers between $1,000,000 and $2,500,000 for medicak over the life of the policy, that amount gets added back to over time in most cases. Any forced converage limit is bogus political BS.

Second, a lot of you all miss the point. The helmet is not the issue, the stinking laws (and seat belt laws for adults) are the issue. We are adults, damn it, and should be allowed to make decisions about safety equipment that can kill you. (and yes, I actually have lost a friend because of a helmet, it caused a neck break when he whipped around to see where his wife was when she fell of the bike (and don't give a sh!t if you believe me, I went to the funeral, you didn't), and several because of seat belts, car fires they apparently freaked out and could not get it off, and spent 17 years working for GEICO so have heard every freaking horror story about motorcycles you can imagine). The public burden argument is complete BS as the vast majority of folks have health insurance. You want to talk about public burden, well they should ban getting old and driving in general. Cancer, ban cancer, major public burden. Let Dr Jack out of jail, he knows how to deal with that problem.

Thirdly, I wear a helmet, not a full face like some of you would like mandated, but a Bell Tour Lite currently. I don't give a rats a$$ what the law is, I am going to protect the one thing that the docs are not so good at fixing at this time! I also wear a riding suit with armor, most of the time. And I ride a freaking Harley (and BMW) to boot, so there.

Forthly, I also ride sidecars and regardless of what CHP says about Arnold, you have to have a motorcycle license to ride/drive one...and the lack of licensing is one hell of a lot bigger issue than the helmet law situation. Those damed folks have most of the bike accidents, and those of us who are properly licensed and possibly even trained have to pay for the consequences of the loser unlicensed riders, like the right wing, holier than thou Republican Kennedy by marriage governorator. At least my Republican Governor (Georgia, until the next election) is just a turn coat jerk and not a whining sniveling woosy man like the unlicensed peice of crap that Arnold is...whoops, the spirit of KPaul must have overtaken me for a moment...

That's Bigjames' two cents worth.
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:32 AM   #45
falloutboy33
Registered Member

i wear a helmet regardless, why do i care if government wants to enforce it? i'll ***** when they start taxing us on the miles we ride, but not before it.
falloutboy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:56 AM   #46
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default Re: Enough of that lame argument

I could slam you for being an under educated a$$ but I digress (websters: to depart form the subject). You are using assumptions without merit. I bust my butt to make sure (as an agent) that my customers are taken care of at all times. Regardless of the claim or suspected amount to the claim, if I feel they need assistance with the insurance company I will, at all times, go to bat for the customer. So, you're WRONG in you blanket statement that we're jerks. We must, however, play by rules and assessing risk is one of the things we do. Furthermore, attitudes, such as your own, only limit you. If you came to me asking for insurance assistance and I knew your stand, as I do now, I would refuse to cover your risk because: 1 I own my agency and can damn well choose my customers and 2 because you are a claim waiting to happen instead of a educated consumer looking for a well qualified agent to assist you.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:58 AM   #47
acecycleins
Founding Member

I could live with that, as well.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:06 AM   #48
macmanjim
Founding Member

Amen

2009 R1200RT

My Motorrad
macmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:08 AM   #49
macmanjim
Founding Member

I wear a helmet, you'd know if you read it...

2009 R1200RT

My Motorrad
macmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:09 AM   #50
acecycleins
Founding Member

The arguement is not about having or not having a helmet law. It's who pays for the repairs for the injuries. My point is that the rider is responsible for the bills and if the only way to get him to pay the bills (if he or she lives) is to garnish wages or make them work it off in the hospital. Our ERs are not designed to act as medical services for general care. They call them EMERGENCY Rooms for a reason. My sister is an ER doctor and an excellent trauma doctor but dealing with all the people that don't need to be there in the first place just spreads the services thin for no reason.