Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-05-2006, 11:17 AM   #11
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: The Devil's Advocate speaks ...

"I don't understand what his driving has to do with his being a lawyer at all."

It was willfull negligence that killed Scott. Janklow, a lawyer, would know that.

A priest having molested a child years ago just once, isn't hurting his congregation today?

Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2006, 11:24 AM   #12
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: Janklow to regain law license.

Janklow is above the law and standards of conduct are judged differently for him than for the rest of us.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:59 AM   #13
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

<blockquote>It was willfull negligence that killed Scott. Janklow, a lawyer, would know that.</blockquote>

I knew that, too, and I'm not a lawyer. Basic knowledge of traffic laws is within the grasp of all but the simplest of us. If you can read, you can read the DSM, and it is your driver's licence that verifies that knowledge for the rest of society, not your licence to practice law. Knowing laws to a higher standard doesn't make lawyers better drivers, just better lawyers.

<blockquote>A priest having molested a child years ago just once, isn't hurting his congregation today?</blockquote>

What a bad example. Molesting a child is an act of commisson. There is a victim, a perp, and a conscious choice by the perp to directly inflict harm on the victim. Janklow accidentally killed someone through being an idiot, which is a very, very different thing. There is a reason we have a difference between Murder One and lesser crimes like Vehicular Homicide, right? That difference is intent.

Secondly, a priest's job is directly related to the crime you describe: there are children at Sunday School and his crime was against children - direct link. You can be a terrific lawyer without ever putting your hands behind the wheel of a car.
m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:20 PM   #14
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

You need to separate the court from the bar.

The court put Janklow in jail, then probie. That was his 'sentence' and both you and I agree that it was far, far too light. I want him back in jail and I don't want him to drive ever again.

The bar, though, is not the court. It is a professional association whose sole function is to certify lawyers so that the public knows that its members meet a certain minimum standard. It is to keep us from getting bilked by bad lawyers, in effect. If Janklow had been convicted of being a terrible lawyer or of bilking his clients of money - crimes directly related to being a lawyer, then it would be reasonable to expect the bar to suspend his licence because that is its job, after all - to keep bad lawyers off the streets.

Its job is not to keep bad drivers off the streets, though. That's the job of the courts.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:39 PM   #15
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Ah that Red State Spin...

It's called spin. He probably hired a consultant from Fox news as a publicist.. I think Buzglyd used to be a publicist right...
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:53 PM   #16
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: Janklow to regain law license.

Good point. Because the Radical Rightwing of the Republican party controls Congress, the Executive Branch and soon the Judical branch, will all these scandels suddenly disappear? Like the CIA thing and Rove...Did you see Buz's butt buddy OReally on Letterman. "I get the feeling that 60% of what you say is crap" said Letterman to OReilly.

Gosh Dave don't give him that much credit.. The only reason Nixon was forced to resign is because the Dems controlled Congress....IMHO...
Old 01-05-2006, 01:03 PM   #17
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

You have to be clearer, though. Ethics is a pretty general term.

Clinton didn't break any laws by sleeping with Monica. He violated the vague ethical trust of his position in society's opinion, and so was asked to step down and put on the grill for his actions. He didn't violate the ethical code of any professional associations, though, because he wasn't a member of any and wasn't acting as a representative of one. He might not have violated his personal ethics at all!

Did Janklow violate some bylaw of the ND bar association? If not, he should never have lost his licence and people shouldn't be bleating about him getting it back.

What people *should* be bleating about is that he is on the street at all. It is the court's jurisdiction to enfore our laws and impose penalties for breaking them, and it dropped the ball big time on this one.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:33 PM   #18
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Just to be clear.

As a Clinton fan, I have to painfully point out that I think Clinton lied to a grand jury in the Paula Jones case is why he was impeached.. i.e he lied about sex in the course of the past behavior discovery portion of the Paula Jones case.. "You are dirty scoudrel cause you had oral sex with an intern and thus shows a pattern of abusing your power and you lied about it" Gabe can probabaly fill in the details or correct my mistakes..

Bush lied about a war go figure...
Old 01-05-2006, 01:34 PM   #19
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Excellent point.. Well said..
Old 01-05-2006, 03:54 PM   #20
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

And the other guy is like, uh dead. How do we redress that? This guy has a string of tickets as long as your arm, and probably got off in situations where you or I would have been ticketed that we never heard about. I appreciate your attempts to be fair, but screw him. With extreme predjudice.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote