Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-05-2006, 07:23 AM   #11
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default Re: Norton Commando for sale

I'm skeptical, to say the least. The old website's forum was filled with posts from increasingly angry customers asking where the bikes were that they had put deposits on. I used to head back to the site monthly until the responses from Norton stopping showing up in the forum altogether in mid 2004. I assumed, then, that the company was a wash and they had burned off the deposits in R&D and no one would ever see the bikes.

So ... now a new site pops up - without a forum - and in the three other retro sites I visit, no one seems to know if the original batch of limited edition bikes were ever delivered.
m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2006, 07:44 AM   #12
Fenton
Founding Member

I sold the Multi yesterday and think I know what's next.

It doesn't help when you have the cash and Monroe motors in SF has a S4R with toys for $8.9k(must focus, don't call) & a yellow ST4s for $9ish.

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:02 AM   #13
mikenomad
Founding Member

Default Re: Where's the Beef?

"Give us your money and someday we might build you a motorcycle." Baloney. Nobody in the press has ridden, tested, or even seen one of these bikes in the flesh. Nobody knows whether it's a well-engineered machine or a piece of crap. Norton hasn't delivered a single motorcycle to anyone. Until they do, and until the motomags have a change to evaluate one, keep your wallet in your pocket.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:06 AM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

My ST4 is in getting some clutch attention and that's when I laid eyes on the Sport Classic.

Did you make it down my way during the holiday season?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:13 AM   #15
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Update: I found a news item on the Norton site saying that the 952 Signature Series had sold out. It was dated 02.01.05. What was interesting was that the text of the article called it the 952, but the header called it the 961 - the new nomenclature. How much do you want to bet that the deposits people dropped on the bikes were simply 'transferred' to the new bikes and nothing concrete was ever handed over to the depositors.

IIRC, the deposit was 10K each, so if I had been waiting two years for a bike I had already paid 10K into, I would be very, very upset.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:27 AM   #16
abogado
Registered Member

I have to disagree about no chinzy bits. At the SJ motorcycle show, Some of the "chrome" on the front was plastic when they could have easily done it better. Would be a $20 fix though, but was a little off putting.
abogado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:40 AM   #17
Lastwatch
Founding Member

and IIRC, the 952 was the first very limited production run and those bikes were sold and delivered. The 961 is the next version they're going to produce.
Lastwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:46 AM   #18
GHam
Registered Member

I thought they were supposed to have a signature edition for about 20k(limited edition) and I've never heard a word about them.They brought a bike around various dealers last summer for show and tell also.This whole thing is taking a long time to come about.Don't get me wrong I love the new Norton looks but I'm not going to be the first in line to get one.
GHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:47 AM   #19
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: Where's the Beef?

Cycle World had a multi page ride report a few years back.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:59 AM   #20
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default New, modern Matchless bikes for sale!

I've purchased the Matchless trademarks and am on the verge of producing the first new Matchless models in nearly a half century. The first bike will be called the Matchless Manx 800 and to raise money for the general production run of bikes, there will be a limited edition series call the Isle of Man series, bored out to 900cc, and that will feature - literally - the most expensive modern motorcycle components that I can find on the open market. All the big names will be there, including the mystical Ohlins.

These extremely limited edition 900cc bikes will be produced in a small production run of 0 bikes, to be followed by the general production run of 0000 bikes for the 800cc models. We are aiming for mass production for these models in the future, hopefully through our growing dealer network in the US and Europe, and we hope to have 000 000 units on the road by the end of 2007.

Deposits of 10K USD are being taken for the limited edition run of bikes at:

www.matchlessscam.com

any questions can be answered at the site, or can be forwarded to the company via snail mail at:

18975561156 Ltd.

George Town, Cayman Islands

1456-156

Initial deposits will go towards the R&D and production of a wicked-ass prototype that I will ride in every possible riding scenario so that it is thoroughly tested and retested, ad nauseum. I will exhibit this prototype at all the major motorcycle events in order to drum up more deposits and will hopefully get enough R&D money to outfit my friends with similar wicked-ass prototypes of their own.

I reserve the right to change the specs of the bike on paper several times to put off the annoying questions from the depositors because they will think that development is actually proceeding. I also reserve the right to write sad and cloying letters on the website begging for patience when those depositors start demanding their money back. I finally reserve the right to move to the Caymans should anyone discover my true identity and seek to do me bodily harm or to place me in a federal penitentiary.