Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 12-15-2005, 11:09 AM   #1
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: Anyone ride a trike?

About twice a year my wife, at dinner, says she'd like to go riding with me again. That happens way more often than..."well go ahead and get that bike if you want it".

That's where the phrase, "It's the thought that counts", comes from.

Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-15-2005, 11:55 AM   #2
teknoman
Registered Member

Ahhhhhhhh,I see,that,s why I kept my mouth shut....But I swear this is true.Today I finished giving a breathing test to a patient and he noticed my Indian motorcyle calendar with beautiful models,and says to me"want to see my bike?"He,s about 5ft5 [around my height] and leads me out to a honda goldwing trike in yellow.I sit on it,and I had to admit it was nice.So he says "you can borrow it if you like!"I look at him[naturally my gaydar goes up,no offense to anyone]And I tell him ,just a shot around the yard here.Did it,explained to him what my wife said.He pulls out a card and tells me "if you decide to go threewheels, call me,I have connections".Looked at the card, and the guy is a Pastor of a local church!Needless to say I was tonguetied and he took off blazing out the yard.I just wonder what god was thinking!?
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:46 PM   #3
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Hey, this is "Motorcycle.com" not "Trike.com".

But I digress; Yes, in fact my "first" gasoline powered contraption was in fact, a trike.

An aluminum framed "big" tricycle liberated from a local pre-school, turned upside-down with a 1 & 1/2 hp. Briggs mounted on a woden platform held to the frame with u-bolts.

I still have the scars...
Old 12-15-2005, 12:48 PM   #4
teknoman
Registered Member

Yikes!
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 02:13 PM   #5
KLRer
Founding Member

I recently saw a reverse trike touted as a concept vehicle somewhere on the internet. Reverse in that the two wheel axle was in front, the single wheel behind.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 02:44 PM   #6
sarnali
Founding Member

I rode (drove?) a '60 something Servicar back in the day. 45 motor and hand shift, pretty good restoration. Belonged to a one-legged dentist as I recall. I went from Owens Beach at Pt. Defiance Park which is a hangout in the summer for those familiar with the area, around the 5 mile loop drive and back again. It was pretty fun for a 'round town bike.

If I wanted to go the three-wheeler route I'd get a Ural sidecar rig with the PTO to the sidecar wheel. Put a set of knobbies on that and go hit some logging roads for the day, or just ride it around secondary roads. If I couldn't ride a regular bike for some reason I'd get one in a minute.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:26 PM   #7
gigantic
Registered Member

why would anyone want too? i haven't given any thought to riding a trike since i graduated from a Green Machine to a Schwinn Stingray back in '76. trikes are for people who can't ride bikes. period.
G
GSXR-750 #13 Spyder Leatherworks, TrackdayMag.com East coast staff.
gigantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 04:31 PM   #8
aloha-terry
Founding Member

I have owned a sidecar rigs for 15 years plus and always enjoy the ride. Not a trike, but three wheels makes sure you never fail down at an intersection because you "forgot" to put your feet down.

It is kinda like driving a circus wagon around, people wave smile and point. You get attention like nothing I have ever been on.

Want to ***** off the $30,000.00 chopper crowd, ride in on one of these. They become invisible when I pull in with my 10 year old Ural with a sidecar...he he!

Big fun and cheap!

You should try it!

Aloha-Terry
aloha-terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 05:32 PM   #9
obandoj
Founding Member

I would never owe one of them horrible things.

As a motorcycle mechanic I'm forced to work on them once in a while (mainly Gold Wing conversions) They are the most evil handling things out there, the steering geometry was never intended for that kind of use, so it is extremely heavy and unforgiving, they are a highside looking for a place to kill you, after riding one of those things you understand why three wheelers (ATC's) were outlawed in the USA. If your reason to ride something like that has to do with your inability to handle a 2 wheeler, you are better off with a properly set up sidecar rig.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 06:04 PM   #10
Fenton
Founding Member

I had one about 36 years ago. Then my dad got me on a bike with training wheels.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote