Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 12-06-2005, 02:57 AM   #41
maladg
Registered Member

Default Re: Bad shopping experence.

HAH! Beginners one and all, except for the Chicago bunch. Real pros there.

Bow before the kings of all corruption: the Lousiana Pol!

The Kingfish, Leander Perez, "Edwin" Edwards, etc.

And I thought some of you could read and remember???
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2005, 03:03 AM   #42
maladg
Registered Member

Advice re Internet stuff is great but seeing them is person - the bikes that is - is better, or at least more fun.

Gee, where do you live? Are there not about six squintillion more dealers in a 50 mile radius to go sample? Sounds to me like you need to get busy and not let one enounter with an amateur get you down.

I agree with those who say that the experience tends to be better in the Euro Salons. But be warned: joining the club is much more expensive.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 03:15 AM   #43
pplassm
Founding Member

Of course it's not a coincidence. Why would anyone want to buy a pol from the party that's NOT in power?
Old 12-06-2005, 03:30 AM   #44
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Sure it's amatuer stuff but remember in "America's Finest City" it's big news.

If it rains here it's the lead story on the local news.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 04:04 AM   #45
SRMark
Founding Member

Yes, I was being evil. Seriously, I would take a very hard look at a Moto Guzzi Breva 750. Most Guzzi dealers know a ton about their bikes, the 750 is a solid, inexpensive comfortable, versatile bike that will haul you and your honey around. It won't be terribly fast but it will get your bike legs back under you. Then you can give the 750 to the Mrs. while you go get the Breva 1100.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 04:55 AM   #46
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: I concur. Do your research.

Well, I didn't just mean reviews by motojournalists. There are a ton of owner sites around where you can get all sorts of ownership experiences--and lots of other forums where people discuss the merits and flaws of their bikes. (Of course, you won't find info on new models right away.)

And the reason why you hear mainly positive reviews is because, tada, you can't really buy too many truly bad or even average bikes these days. I understand Walker's point about magazines sugarcoating every bike, but I think it's more like softening the blow (although, this presents an interesting problem for the pubs because the bikes are generally so good.)

There is some useful information in those tests if you know what to look for. You won't find too many instances where the mags will say "this bike sucks," because, well, there just aren't many sucky bikes out there. I find the comparison tests slightly more useful, but in many cases the performance differences are just too esoteric for most average riders to even grasp. What you should be looking for are the day-to-day functional differences: Does the bike's power delivery seem to suit the kind of riding you do? Will the bike be suitable for 2-up riding? Do the ergos work well for around-town? Does it have enough wind protection, or do you even care? Etc., etc. These things are usually covered in extensive comparison tests. Just remember that things like ergonomics are highly subjective.

Also remember to read between the lines. There are so many classes and sub-classes of bikes now, that they've grown fairly focused and are usually good at their intended core purpose. For instance, a naked sport bike is a lot of fun in the twisties and for blasting around, but it won't work quite as well as a tourer. A Buell Blast may be a reasonably good training bike, but it'll be useless for 2-up riding. So when you hear that the Blast is a good bike, remember that it probably means it's good for learning and short trips around town--but that's about it. (Although, there are certainly mixed opinions on that bike.)

Now, I understand that you're task is a little harder because you're leaning towards a do-it-all standard. Here's the good news: They're all good. Seriously. It just depends on what suits you the best. V-twin, parallel twin, triple or inline-4? Wind protection or no wind protection? Which has the better pillion accomodations? (Check the owner's sites for this one.) Which bike has the best dealer support in your area? If your uncomfortable using the dealer you disliked, is there another in your area?

And when in doubt, ask here. Or post a question on an owner's site if possible.

pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 05:22 AM   #47
lwatcdr
Founding Member

Default Re: I concur. Do your research.

Thanks. I have only ever ridden I4s. I am leaning towards a twin.

1. I have never ridden one except a friends BMW.

2. I want a bike that will feel lighter than my CB750.

I really want to support a good local dealer.

I would like to know

What bikes have the least problems.

What bikes are easiest to work on.

I figure any new bike should be okay but how will they age?

Maybe I should just look for a good used SV. Part of me would like to try a YZF600. I keep hearing how good they are.

So many choices. Anyway my wife felt so bad about the other shop she wants me to go with her at lunch to another bike shop.

lwatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 06:19 AM   #48
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Hold up, Jethro....

Making a decent Latte` takes skill as well, don't go foisting off some "gonna buy a bike today dude?" on the spendy coffee industry please.

Fries are fine, it's hard to screw them up..
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 06:31 AM   #49
sarnali
Founding Member

That's it in a nutshell. When I go to the Harley dealer, or to look a BMW or Triumph it's usually a guy around my age with similar riding experiance and a good knowledge of their product.

With the Japanese bike dealerships it's usually some kid that has ridden less miles than my gloves.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:18 AM   #50
lwatcdr
Founding Member

Default Different shop

I tried a shop closer to home. Florida Sport Cycles and Marine handles Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, and Ducat. It was a different experience. I was actually greeted at the door. He listened to what I wanted in a motorcycle. He suggested the DL650 over the SV650 since I wanted to ride with my wife and I was used to a CB750. He worked out the numbers for me and had me sit on the bike to see how I fit..

Never did I hear crotch rocket spoken. He as polite to my wife and seemed knowledgeable.

How good his prices was I will have to check on but the service was MUCH better.

I did email the other shop to let them know how much I didn't enjoy my experience. I hope they don't hammer the kid I talked too to bad. It was really a lack of training on the stores part.

lwatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote