Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 12-05-2005, 11:28 AM   #11
saaz
Registered Member

Default Re: Bad shopping experence.

You should at least try the mid range and larger bikes, given that you are not small. All off the midrange bikes mentioned are good (Bandit 650 as well), but also look at runouts on the FZ1 and Honda 919 (Hornet) as they would be easy to live with. Unfortunately you don't seem to get all the models in the US.
saaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2005, 11:33 AM   #12
acecycleins
Founding Member

I forgot all about the sleeper Bandit models- The Suzuki dealers should almost be giving them away- I'd go with the 1200gsf because with two up riding you may want the extra ponies.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:58 AM   #13
teknoman
Registered Member

Hah! that 999 will turn into a 666 quickly once he gets on it![hell on wheels] .and smoke comes out his butt! You are a cruel man!
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:01 PM   #14
teknoman
Registered Member

We got ya beat this time san diego.We got galardi, the las vegas strip joint[s]owner and lance malonea las vegas politico hack being tried in BOTH CITIES![las vegas and san diego]Can you top that?
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:04 PM   #15
nesbit
Founding Member

Regarding local dealer sales expertise the picture is bleak as many above have noted. Perhaps this has something to do with the available labor pool and how these folks are compensated. In fact, it's probably common to all retail product sales these days. And, if your a researcher and spend the requisite time on the web, you'll invariably find that you'll walk into the dealer knowing more than the salesman does. The only other problem typical with the Japanese motorcycle dealer network is that it's practically impossible to get a test ride on any machine. By comparison, in the last few weeks I've been able to test ride with little notice, a Ducati S2R1000, a BMW 1200GS and a HD SuperGlide. So, if you're going Nipponses, unless you have a friend you are SOL in that area. Anyway, goodluck!!!!
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:34 PM   #16
nmu1
Registered Member

I am in my late 50's and hadn't ridden in 20 years. I got back into motorcycling and purchased a used Aprilia 650 Pegaso, kept it a year, and then bought a 2004 BMW R1150R. I have been very happy with the performance and comfort of the BMW. I would recommend the BMW. The Moto Guzzi 1100 Breva would also be a good choice.
nmu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:39 PM   #17
Gabe
Registered Member

Default You didn't read my series on buying a motorcycle, by chance?

If you did, you would see info about the sales process and what an effective salesperson would do. You are doing that shop a disservice if you just walk out of there, never talking to the salesperson's sales manager or team leader.

A good sales manager or team leader would make sure you left feeling better about the shop. If you did talk to one of those guys and still feel bad about the place, avoid that dealership until it changes hands.

You had a bad experience with a bad salesman who shouldn't be selling anything besides lattes or french fries. But that doesn't mean the dealership is bad; it's hard to hire good salespeople and you can't watch what they say and do every second.

Do your research, find your bike, and don't forget to have fun!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:12 PM   #18
lwatcdr
Founding Member

I do know a bit about the 999. I have been reading up. The 999 is a pretty extreme bike in performance but I have heard it is pretty comfortable. One of the Monsters might be a good choice though. I mainly worry about the valve adjustments. I hear they are not cheap.

lwatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:26 PM   #19
lwatcdr
Founding Member

Wouldn't a DL650 be a good choice? I also thought about a YZF600. I little bit more sporty than I really need to start with but I hear they are pretty comfy and have great brakes.

The problem seems to me that there are a lot of good bikes but not all that many good starter bikes. Frankly the EX500 would probably be one of the best choices. The problem is they seem to be very rare. I can't even find a good used one.

Yea I took my MSF years ago and got a perfect score then rode for a few years but I have not been on a bike for a while. I consider myself starting over.

lwatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:34 PM   #20
pdad13
Founding Member

Default I concur. Do your research.

Where you buy the bike doesn't mean much as long as you get a fair deal. But don't rely on the salespeople to give you good info. It's a really mixed bag out there--a few good sales people and some really awful ones. Fortunately, you've got the Internet and the availabilty of motorcycle information is fantastic. Read up on the models you're interested in and know what you're willing to pay.

I acted as the main advisor for a friend that bought his second bike over the summer. I gave him some advice on the type of bike and then referred him to a bundle of articles on the net about the bikes we had chosen as a good fit. Then we hit a few dealers. The salesman he eventually bought from, while being a nice enough kid, didn't know much and had only been riding himself for less than two years. But the price he quoted was significantly better than the other two dealers he was shopping at. With the information he had collected, and my feeble opinion, he felt confident that he got a good deal.

And all of this didn't change the fact that he got a great bike: Kawasaki Z750S.

Oh, and read Gabe's series on buying a bike. Good luck.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote