Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-29-2005, 10:56 AM   #31
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: Hang Up and Drive!

Right after I got my cell phone, I found myself late for an appointment, trying to get by all the slugs in front of me and calling ahead to let them know I would be a tad late. I failed to notice that the four lane had become two, and I was now on my way to a head on collision. The guy I was so annoyed with saw what was happening, and made room for me to get back where I belonged. He wasn't using a cell phone. There is something about talking to someone who you can't see that requires more attention than talking to someone sitting beside you. They will know why you can't speak at the moment, for one thing. They can see the hazard as well as you can. Hands or no hands, people should not be talking on cell phones while operating a vehicle. Period. End of story.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-29-2005, 11:25 AM   #32
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Never lay her down

My MSF instructor said you should keep your bike upright cause you will stop shorter than laying her down and sliding James Bond style (Tomorrow Never Dies) on your mufflers...i.e. use your brakes and tire traction to stop ...
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 12:23 PM   #33
FrankS1
Founding Member

Yep, happened in or near Boulder. Dunno about the complete lack of criminal penalties, the local stories seemed to imply that the Law Enforcement folks were trying to figure out the appropriate charge (though it might wind up NOTHING).

Fortunately the bicycle rider's family can still go to court and get a Wrongful Death judgement against the kid's insurance, and family. And the penalties for driving without insurance are more severe.. (unless the driver is an undocumented alien - but let's not go there)
FrankS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 12:53 PM   #34
seruzawa
The Toad

Too bad the IRS won't accept that "I didn't mean it" excuse, eh?
Old 11-30-2005, 03:26 AM   #35
pplassm
Founding Member

Old people vote, and they will give up their licenses when we pry them from their cold dead hands!
Old 11-30-2005, 03:31 AM   #36
pplassm
Founding Member

Indeed. While on the phone, the driver is not really all there. This is differnet from adjusting the radion, eating, or other in-****pit tasks. Don't ask me why, but it just is. If I can tell the difference, then everyone should be able to.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:31 AM   #37
bboule
Founding Member

This is still big news in the bicycle community.

I believe the charge they arrived at was "misdemeanor reckless driving resulting in death."

Pretty amazing!
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 06:08 PM   #38
DougandCarol
Founding Member

I moved out of Florida because of it!
DougandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote