Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-22-2005, 03:02 PM   #11
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Chose my Bike!

My money is on the way also; I placed my order for the HD Destroyer yesterday. Can't wait.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2005, 04:42 PM   #12
smithrob75
Founding Member

When I was riding my 1st bike at age 16 (a Yamaha Virago) I would have loved to have a V65 or a VMax. Now I'm pretty sure I would have killed myself though. Good luck w/ that bike, I'd actually like to find an old Virago for old times sake. I'm still kind of a fan of 80's Japanese bikes, no big chrome cruisers..
Old 11-22-2005, 05:05 PM   #13
nesbit
Founding Member

Common Sense should rule here. If possible, never buy a used one as first bike. You've got enough to concern yourself with in the skills development department than to have to speculate on whether that noise you're hearing is the motor about to explode under you or just the normal sound of that particular machines valve train. Especially, don't buy a bike that old even if the mileage and service history has been correctly represented to you, unless you're reasonably knowledgeable and experienced in automotive mechanics and have confirmed that parts are accessible, or in lieu of that have confirmed the local Yamaha dealer will service it for you. Really, for a couple of thousand more you can buy any number of new 2005/6 mid-displacement machines with a warranty and no headaches. Unless, of course, you've got some obsessive thing about the v65. Anyway, good luck and watch yourself out there.!
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:06 PM   #14
naco_traficante
Registered Member

Default Google NADA or Blue Book

For God's sake look up any used bike in a couple of places. And if you find any scooters with milk crates on the back, I heard that Sean might be in the market for one now that motorcycles are just a bitter memory.

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.t...rc;Motorcycles

http://www.nadaguides.com/MCHome.asp...003&it= 28876

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/buyersguide.htm

naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:27 PM   #15
xxces
Founding Member

Default Re: Google NADA or Blue Book

That is too much for this bike. Get a V-Max if you want a muscle bike.

I just bought a '99 Ducati ST4 for $5500, yeah its more money but not that much and its 15 years newer. Its a lot more modern machine that can handle and stop.

Get a well known and popular machine, that has a large parts network. Keep looking, and check back with the next find
xxces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 06:58 PM   #16
dmorga1
Founding Member

I respectfully disagree. First bikes should be cheap, and will be dropped, and so used makes excellent sense. Used bikes are generally very reliable if they're not 20 years old. My first bike 3 yrs ago was a 1992 Nighthawk 750--reliable as the sun. Every other nighthawk owner had the same experience--great starter bike.

I don't know the background this individual is coming from, but if he is a new rider, I would think a Sabre 1100 would be suicidal. I think the last year was 1985, so I think he's being put on. And $3000 is waaaay too much, I agree, unless we're talking about a trailer queen with 5k miles.

I would vote for an older Nighthawk. The V-Max is also suicidal, and I can't think of a worse-handling bike. I ride a 1994 CB-1000--a few of those have been on EBay. They come up from time to time for about 2500, but the really well-cared for ones are a little over market at 3000. Well worth the money, but also not a recommended starter bike. Too much power.
dmorga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:21 PM   #17
notoes
Registered Member

Default Re: Google NADA or Blue Book

The v65 , and v45 , have a huge supply of parts , and , in my humble opinion , $3000 isn't out of the question IF it's cherry & low mileage . Start @ Ebay , search , and go from

there . I bought an 82 v45 from a frustrated

deputy for $300 , put onother $300 in it , and have found the cheapest way ta go the fastest I've ever gone . Also , the Sabre has better styling than the Magna as far as I'm concerned . If these MORONS have talked you out of the purcharse , contact me- I might be interested . Just the opinion of an adrenalin junkie in his fifties who grew tired of Harleys and Brit bikes that needed constant maintainence .
notoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 01:53 AM   #18
BillyO
Registered Member

Too much to go wrong;Engine,tires,suspension.

Also,alot of bike for a new rider.

I read that cam lobe wear could be problem.

Front suspension,especially neck bearings.should be checked for play.

Rear swing arm play must be looked at.

OLD tires are dangerous.

Do not let the dreaded disease of TSB rule your decision.TSB is short for Teminal sperm build-up.
BillyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 01:57 AM   #19
BillyO
Registered Member

Common sense,motorcycle purchase,first bike ever.

Next thing you know.horny young men wil be practicing common sense SEX.
BillyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:40 AM   #20
maladg
Registered Member

YeaGads, man!

Quick: call the craniorectal inversion reversal squad!

Buy cheap, cheerful, fairly late model and have a great time.

Run the other way re the ole V-65 (which was and is a prefectly pretty ok bike) unless you really have a retro jones to feed.

maladg is offline   Reply With Quote