Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-18-2005, 06:55 AM   #1
LIMEDUST
Registered Member

Default Re: Prayers for an old friend.

Sorry about your friend. My heart goes out to his family and friends. Please keep us posted on his progress and what happens to the dumbass that hit him.

Paul
LIMEDUST is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2005, 08:35 AM   #2
brianriley
Registered Member

will do.
brianriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:44 AM   #3
SRMark
Founding Member

I'm about 65 miles to his right. I hope my prayers reach him quickly.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:46 AM   #4
nesbit
Founding Member

"otherwise occupied" seems to be the case in more and more of these tragic incidents. We need to stop referring to them as "accidents". There's nothing accidental about them. Given they're not alcohol, drug, reckless, or speeding related, they are likely and overwhelmingly the result of distracted behavior, which should be treated as a violation in itself. Unfortunately, there is no provision in most state VTLs treating this type of incompetency as a violation. The problem is, unless they have a cell phone wedged into their ear canal, how do you charge them, let alone convict them of "reckless distracted behavior"? So, for the forseeable future these "idiots" will probably walk. With the exponential increase in cars and mindless drivers on our roads combined with the dramatic increase in motorcycle and scooter use, we need to start treating driving as a privilege, not a right, and rethink licensing and training requirements. Otherwise, incidents such as this will continue to be disturbingly common. Sorry to go off on this when you folks are understandably otherwise occupied. Our prayers are with you -please keep us advised.
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:15 AM   #5
teknoman
Registered Member

Brother,I,m about 2000=miles away,but I will pray as often as possible for his speedy recovery.....
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:23 AM   #6
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

I will pray for Lou.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:29 AM   #7
bmwdude
Founding Member

I would like to thank MO for posting this for me. Especially after I read them the riot act for being so slow about it. Thanks Guys!

Also, I would like to thank all of the local fire fighters for their quick response and help. On a side note. Lou is a volunteer fire fighter, also he teaches new firefighter and police rescue techniques for extracting people who have been trapped in vehicles after an accident. It's ironic that the same folks he trained ended up saving his life.

Thanks again to all for your thoughts and prayers. I'll pass them on to his family and friends.

bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:39 AM   #8
fireworks
Founding Member

What was he wearing when he was hit?

I don't ask this to be an a$$. It is just that when I hear about things like this I wonder about if his gear helped, did he have any, etc.

Thankfully I've never been in any kind of major accident, and believe in proper protection, but I wonder just how much it really helps with situations like this.

A speed recovery to him. He's obviously a good guy. I'm sure he'll pull through.
fireworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 11:43 AM   #9
bmwdude
Founding Member

Unfortunately he is usally only wearing a half helmet, flight type leather jacket, jeans and I know in this case sneakers.

Yes, Lou is an old school HD guy. But in this case I don't think even race leathers would have helped. The car actually went over him.

I'm with you on the protective gear thing. I always wear it. But by the same token, I'm a rather aggressive rider. Lou Isn't. He's a speed limit kind'a guy. It bothers me that if he had been riding like I normally do the girl more than likely wouldn't have caught up to him?

I guess this just proves, being safety minded doesn't always help. I accept that, and I'll bet Lou would agree.

bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:04 PM   #10
sky
Founding Member

Default My prayers too.

I had two get-offs in the same day this week, and have been walking around extremely pissed ever since. The idiot that I am, I never realized I was lucky just to be walking around. May God bless you Lou. Get well brother.
sky is offline   Reply With Quote