Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-14-2005, 03:33 AM   #31
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Old bikers prompts renewed focus on safety.

Another gem from you that just shows your stupidity. Why would you be at a 'drive-in' on the weekend watching the baby boomers? Maybe some boomer envy going on? I thought you were this serious road rider that will show everyone his taillight in the 'twisties'?? LOL So now you are hanging around drive-in's because you suck at riding and snicker at all the other guys that supposedly suck at riding. Did you challenge them to compare MSF scores? Maybe a bench-press contest to show who's boss?? LOL What a moron.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2005, 03:35 AM   #32
KLRer
Founding Member

Default Re: Dubious Data?

"But as they hit the road in record numbers, riders 40 and older also have been getting killed more often than their younger counterparts...."

I'd like to see some backup for that statement before putting too much credence in it. What data are they citing? And is it national data or just Washington state data?

My sense is that older people generally drive more cautiously, making up for slower reflexes. And they tend more to relatively sedate cruisers rather than greased lightning sportbikes which can be unforgiving in the wrong hands.

And 40+ is "older" in the sense of diminished riding capabilities? I don't think so. Not unless you're racing competitively. At 60 or 65, there might be some significant decline but not at 40.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 03:37 AM   #33
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

100hp/100tq is very easy to get from a lightly modded twin-cam.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:03 AM   #34
blitz
Founding Member

My girls (ages 8 & 10) ride more miles of single track on their xr70 and xr80 in a weekend than he rides on the road on his ninja. he's a poser's poser.
blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:40 AM   #35
Fenton
Founding Member

Longride, define "lightly"

I don't think the 88s I've ridden with all the usual stage one or a light cam are comming near that. I know the 95 inch kit is a monster done up in a FXDX, but it goes beyond a "lightly" touch.

The other reason I'm asking, I may need a Big Lux ride.(I'm getting slow before I ever got fast)
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:37 AM   #36
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

ooooh the dirty mean Republican getting laws repealed. It's all their fault, the global warming yelowcake buying influenza spreading miscreants. And now they're riding motorcycles too? Time to switch to decaf kp.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:51 AM   #37
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

'Lightly' is jugs bored to 95", ported head, midrange cam. I consider it 'lightly' because it can be done for about 1000 bucks and assembled in a garage in a weekend. No cases need to be split, no injector system modifications(except a power commander), engine stays in frame, no tricks or special skills required. I think Buzglyd just added cams to his Glide with no upper end work and got 80 hp.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:18 AM   #38
Fenton
Founding Member

Thanks. You should see me tighten a chain. That kind of work on a motor requires my special wallet wrench.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:10 AM   #39
pplassm
Founding Member

You are my new hero!

I'm 48 and my knees won't let me ride my sportbike for more than 2 hours.

Old 11-14-2005, 08:29 AM   #40
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Default Re: I'm sick of this issue

Man, I hear ya. While I was last depolyed, I was going to using the overseas program to get a good deal on a Buell, but when I got back I was told I wouldn't be able to ride it due to it being a 900, and since I'd only taken my MSF course a year ago, all I could ride was 600 or less.