Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-13-2005, 01:33 PM   #21
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Old bikers prompts renewed focus on safety.

"90hp" I was thinking the same thing. That would be a sweet set-up. Maybe throw in 110-115 ft/lb torque and we're all set.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2005, 02:22 PM   #22
HighsideHarry
Founding Member

I started riding back in the '70's on a Ducati 250 and eventually wound up on a Triumph Bonneville. Gave up riding a few years later (long story) and then got the bug back again in the early '90's.

Bought a Yamaha YZF 600, thought it was a great bike, but I really lusted for an R1, so I bought that in 2002. Greatest bike going!

All this would probably mean nothing except for the fact that I'll be 70 next month. I guess that qualifies me as an "Old Biker," but in my own defense, I don't think that makes me a "Lousy Biker!"

Everyday I see Sammy Squidley and his friends weaving in and out of traffic and the aforementioned Harley rider still trying to figure out which is the clutch lever and which is the brake. I doubt that age is the factor when you look at these riders, only stupidity and inexperience. So, give us "oldies" a break when it comes to classifying who can ride and who can't.

Still can wheelie.....! OK, maybe 2 inches, but it's still a wheelie!
HighsideHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 03:16 PM   #23
eojmo
Founding Member

Who was at fault in most of these accidents,the riders or cagers? The number of older riders is increasing in most western countries,so more bikes on the road means more chances of accidents.A lot of older riders seem to ride in groups,maybe the distraction of following and trying to keep up with the pack takes thier focas off the other road hazards.With any group there's always a mix of experiance and ability, but some riders try to keep up with the pack even if they are riding way beond thier capability.
eojmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 03:37 PM   #24
Weezel
Registered Member

Too old, too young, no helmet, full face helmet, armor, no armor, boots, sandals, bikes too big, bikes to small, alcohol, drugs, cellphones, cagers, know your limitations, ignore your limitations, training, no training, MSF training, crotch rockets, fat cruisers, loud pipes, ABS, light modulators, hi tech, no tech, lo tech, etc. The repetition. The horror.
Weezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 03:44 PM   #25
georgios1
Founding Member

I've been riding for 54 yrs,started with HD 45/Indian 30.50 and have moved with the flow to sportbikes,now riding a Guzzi Jackal I consider to be as heavy as I can ride sensibly.

You guys are all hitting the truth about some of the weekend warriors on immensely clumsy bikes. Not enough seat time,too much ego/peer pressure to take a riding course,lots of other issues.

I gotta say having to do a riding test is a way to put some sense into this deal. I remember trying to stuff my Honda VF100RG through the cones in CA and realizing it was not as agile as I had thought. I doubt any of these huge cruisers can get through a tight layout riding test. Maybe this is the means to get back to machines we can survive the cagers stupidity on?
georgios1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 04:06 PM   #26
12er
Founding Member

I had one of his 35 greatest hits cd's cranked up on the LT I rented. It was not unusual...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 04:44 PM   #27
seruzawa
The Toad

I'll betcha that the numbers of oldfatHDguys getting aced is high because there are so many more of them that can afford bikes than younginvinciblesquids. Around SaltLake the HD guys far far out number sportbikers. Although maybe the sportbike crash stats will plummet now that Martin is laid up.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:41 PM   #28
Fenton
Founding Member

"What's up 12er" well put.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:39 AM   #29
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Gray Pony Tail Brotherhood i.e. the Harley boys... Baby Booomers... I invented the term right her on MO. 12er hates me for it.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 03:28 AM   #30
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Glory be!

That would be a "typical response" because it's the correct response. If the 'gov' is going t make my decisions for me, then there is no freedom. Freedom gives you the ability to succeed or fail by your own choices. It's something you liberals never understood.