Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-11-2005, 10:46 AM   #1
brax4444
Registered Member

Default Re: Concept 'thing-a-ma-bob' from down Under.

Ugh. That's not a motorcycle.
brax4444 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2005, 10:53 AM   #2
bikervince
Founding Member

I've seen something similar to that at the office parking lot a few blocks from where I live. It's the same idea - two wheels in front, one in the back - powered by what looks like a liter-sized inline-4 MC engine. This one has a roof and a steering wheel, though. I forget the name of it right now, but it looks like an absolute blast to drive.

BikerVince

bikervince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:08 AM   #3
ikonoklass
Founding Member

Whoop-de-freakin'-do.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:23 AM   #4
MudSlinger
Founding Member

ditto.

Old 11-11-2005, 11:43 AM   #5
TomSmith
Founding Member

Reminds me of the 1930s era British Morgan 3-wheeler "motorcycle" or whatever. The Morgan also looked a lot more stylish with an 8/80 or 9/90 JAP or Matchless v-twin mounted crosswise over the front axle.
TomSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:20 PM   #6
fastoldman
Founding Member

Default Mercedes had a much cooler version

where the whole deal could lean into corners.

http://www.gizmag.com/go/3628/

Personally, 3 wheels has some definite benefits if the package can lean. Otherwise, I am sure I could produce a VERY bad accident pretty quickly on any 3 wheeler that doesn't lean.
fastoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:27 PM   #7
brandenw
Founding Member

I think it's a great idea.. Design it a little further and you get similar performance and probably better all-weather handling than motorcycles. Make it street legal and give it somewhere to add hard bags, carry a passenger comfortably, make it look a little less funky with the body styling, and you'll have a nice alternative to a car or motorcycle.

Maybe it'd be a nice alternative to people with less balance or with disabilities, or just people who think it'd be similarly practical without the fears of it tipping over in a parking lot..

I guess the real problem with would be visibility.. It looks lower than most motorcycles and might be harder to see by some people in a quick glance..

Ah well, just because it's not a motorcycle doesn't mean it's inadequate as a mode of transportation or just to have a lot of fun on.

Just my two cents..
brandenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:40 PM   #8
pdad13
Founding Member

Default A whole new genre in spelling

"This concept will start a whole new jondrah of light weight, high performance, relatively cheap motoring."

Jondrah? I mean, how can you be THAT far off??? He only got one letter right--and in the wrong position!

Then again, I don't speak Aussie.

That is all.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:11 PM   #9
gniewko
Registered Member

I hope the steering on this thing works motorcycle-countersteering-style: push right to go right. Otherwise it's a dangerous ride for motorcyclists.

I remember the first time I rode a quad - I almost crashed the thing on the first turn I came to, because it didn't countersteer as I subconsciously expected a handlebar-steered vehicle to do. And it turned in the opposite direction from where I wanted it to go. There is something about handlebars that makes the brain switch into countersteering mode.

Other than that, this 3-wheeler looks pretty fun, but I imagine a Hayabusa-powered go-cart would be fun, too, without the need for so much clean-slate engineering.
gniewko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:36 PM   #10
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

I don't want to sound like a naysayer. However, it seems like ever so often these trike things come along. They never catch on cause they don't combine the best of two worlds (bike vs.. car). You get a compromise. Like a hybrid (mountain/road) bicycles...It does neither thing well...
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote