Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-10-2005, 02:56 AM   #1
gr8shandini
Registered Member

Default Re: Loud Pipe Perspective

Perhaps NY should just legalize lanesplitting and then there'll be no problem. Might just ease that traffic congestion a little as well.

Oh, and First Post!!
gr8shandini is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2005, 02:58 AM   #2
jimmyr
Registered Member

Yes, I have seen groups and individuals recklessly splitting lanes, gunning their engines with their loud pipes howling/blasting, splitting at speeds no sane person would attempt. And I have seen the same sour look on drivers faces. BUT...I have been stuck in traffic jams and seen the same sour look when I split lanes at a mere crawl, carefully as can be with an eye to keep myself and the car drivers out of harms way. (Either on my old GL1100, my Road King, or my FJ1200, doesn't matter) It a mixture of jealousy and fear of someone either having fun or taking "unfair" advantage of the situation. Got news for you...if every motorcyclist in the country toed the line, the non-understanding cagers would still want to stifle us. It's the curse of the human condition: if you don't understand it, or personally take part in it, it is evil and must be stamped out.
jimmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 03:39 AM   #3
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

Default No Way!!

Surely you've got it wrong.

90% of the MOrons posting here know for sure that it's only the arm-fringe wearing cruiser riders who give us bikers a bad name with thier contemptuously slow and loud bikes and thier laughable lack of riding skills.

I feel sure that what you mistakenly took for sportbikes where in fact nothing more than brightly painted Harleys and assorted cruisers.
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 03:40 AM   #4
SRMark
Founding Member

No rider seems to want more enforcement if it will infringe on his ability to ride as he would like. Everyone seems to want something done about overly aggressive users of motorways. Seems like someone is destined to be unhappy. We all like to jump from band-wagon to band-wagon. A sport rider engages a motorist who, in turn, runs the bike over with his cage. I believe I've been on both sides of this fence before. I have felt sorry for both and wanted to have both given a death sentence from the courts. Clamp down, ease up, give up freedoms, protect freedoms. I give up.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 04:31 AM   #5
bbtowns
Founding Member

This seems like the same problem as street racing that was all the rage in the media, but of course cars were the focus. Anything over about 50 hp in the hands of youth is likely to result in alot of risk, for them and those of us who ride/drive around them. That said I certainly don't advocate legal limits on HP, seems like the police had some success getting street racers to the track, perhaps the same effort needs to happen here.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:41 AM   #6
bklein1
Registered Member

Just got back from Sicily where lane splitting is the norm (legal?). Appeared that everyone was getting along fine and had much better driving skills (both bikes and cages) than in the US IMHO.
bklein1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:14 AM   #7
RonXX
Founding Member

So the next a$$hole driving while putting on makeup or reading the paper should inspire a public movement against irresponsible drivers of that kind, if one act is enough to do that as you say it is for motorcycles. Nonsense.

On the subject of lane splitting: I used to live on the East Coast where such behavior is for some unknown reason considered dangerous. Let me tell you that after moving to California, I just can't see why this is the only state where you won't get in trouble for splitting lanes if you do it reasonably. It just doesn't make any sense at all to crawl along with gas-guzzlers (who have a/c) when you can easily and safely move between them at low speeds.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:15 AM   #8
RonXX
Founding Member

Jealousy is ALL it is.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:31 AM   #9
teknoman
Registered Member

I left ny and moved to vegas,where motorcycles don,t matter to the cops because the cagers drive cars like they were on two wheels!We have as of yesterday 150 deaths related to cagers and that does not include the horrendous amounts of accidents we have here every day. The cops here I must say are really cool to us bikers.In my 15 yrs of living here ,I have never seen a motorcylist pulled over.Our chief sheriff,Bill Young a really nice guy went before city hall and asked for a 26% pay hike so that he could hire more police to go after the cagers,and of course in this town where money flows like cheap wine they turned him down.
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:37 AM   #10
teknoman
Registered Member

I left ny and moved to vegas,where motorcycles don,t matter to the cops because the cagers drive cars like they were on two wheels!We have as of yesterday 150 deaths related to cagers and that does not include the horrendous amounts of accidents we have here every day. The cops hereI must say are really cool to us bikers.In my 15 yrs of living here ,I have never seen a motorcylist pulled over.Our chief sheriff,Bill Young a really nice guy went before city hall and asked for a 26% pay hike so that he could hire more police to go after the cagers,and of course in this town where money flows like cheap wine they turned him down.
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote