Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Loud Pipe Perspective (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/3113-loud-pipe-perspective.html)

jlwolff911@hotmail.c 11-11-2005 06:27 AM

Re: Loud Pipe Perspective

Thankfully lane splitting is the norm in Germany. I am glad Texas finally passed lane splitting as that would be one of the few positives in returning to the good ole USA.

As for loud pipes saving lives, well I guess if we all rode around with the horn on we would save even more lives.

BackStreet 11-11-2005 06:50 AM

Re: No Way!!

You're 100% right!

#1 complaint is those tractor engined US built POS HDs with straight pipes ThaThumping along with some Hell's Angel wannabes sprawled out like a $20 'ho on a Sat night in Tijuana.

I don't like them either.

gbrummett 11-11-2005 06:56 AM

Loud pipes vs quiet

Just a quick note of loud vs quiet, I have noticed a difference when riding my stock Honda Goldwing vs riding my modified loud piped Buell.

Many times I have seen people just start to edge over in to my lane without even looking and I had to honk the horn or take evasive action while on the Gold Wing.

This never happens on the Buell, they are very aware that I am in the next lane over even if they are slightly ahead or behind.

aviatorbdm 11-11-2005 09:15 AM

Well said.

webdev511 11-11-2005 01:15 PM

Lane Splitting != Loud Pipes

Apples and Oranges.

I'm quite content with California's Lane Splitting law. You do it, you accept the risk.

Loud pipes are another story.

You won't find a "right to loud pipes" anywhere, nor will you find a lawyer that would defend you pro bono if you wanted to sue to keep that right that you don't have.

If the public really wanted to quash loud pipes, they would require annual motorcycle inspections that insured all were in compliance with DOT requirements. vehicles that were inspected and then found to be out of compliance afterwards would be cited, and if the vehicle in question was cited repeatedly, it would be impounded.

Don't like not being able to ride without loud pipes? Well, don't ride.

mii54ws 11-12-2005 03:30 AM

I agree with the authors disgust of loud pipes and lane splitting. Loud pipes are a manifestation of one who has nothing between his ears and doesn't care if he advertises it.

Lane splitting is a selfish, stupid action saying this; "Look, I can squeze in between two cars and go on my way BUT YOU CAR DRIVERS DON"T DARE SQUEZE INTO MY LANE WHEN I'M AT A TRAFFIC LIGHT OR RIDING ON THE RIGHT SIDE FOR SAFETY REASONS".

Get it???? These "cycle drivers" want their lane to themselves when motoring along but do not want that truck or car behind to pass WITHOUT LEAVING THE LANE.

Legalized lane splitting is a bad law.

Gluge 11-12-2005 10:31 AM

Oh my god, they were going fast! oooh ho.

Most people in CA don't know lane spliting is legal anyway. Any yea jelousy is always a factor...

I don't see what's wrong with spliting lanes at a good speed either, the faster you go the more stationary (easyer to predict) everything else becomes.

relativity baby....

Oviously you reach certain personal limits, but those limits are at their highest when your 20 or so...

What's the big deal really? I mean if you screw up you'll be the one hurt not the cagers.. maybe they'll get their cages dented but they'll be fine, you take the risk, you'll take the hurt if you screw up, it's only dangerious to you.

Gluge 11-12-2005 11:50 AM

I tend to dissagree on two points...

1. How do wheelies make us look bad? I always get people on the street or in their cars motioning to me to do a wheelie... I especialy want to when I see poor kids do it when I ride though poorer neiborhoods.. but I can't get much of a wheelie on the little EX500... still I don't see what the problem with them is?

2. When I go on rides if anyone doesn't have leather pants, jacket, full face helmet decent gloves, and some proper riding boots, I give them a hard time, sometimes though out the ride if they're really skimping... seems like some people spend all their $$ on a new bike and don't have any left for gear. But they're always very receptive and it has worked to make them get gear and so far... 0 fights.

webdev511 11-12-2005 12:25 PM

Loud Pipes Bad, Lane splitting good

Lane splitting up to the stop line of a red light, or when traffic on the freeway is moving at or below 35 mph isn't crazy. Keep your delta at 10mph or below and you should have plenty of time to react to cage drivers.

Legalized lane splitting, done correctly is good. that space a rider opens up at the traffic light can help an auto driver make a light they might have otherwise missed.

Motorcycles that are moving, create less emissions per trip than ones stopped along with cars.

eagle12 11-13-2005 05:10 AM

Re: protect/defend the freedom

Hopefully, you just missed the larger points and didn't disregard them.

1. Freedom is a tenet of this country. What you're suggesting is counter to that, period. You can't have it both ways. Very similar to the arguments relative to the 1st amendment.

2. Attempting to FORCE someone to think/behave responsibly or to have/use common sense is not the answer.