Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-10-2005, 10:54 AM   #41
rmdower
Founding Member

Default Re: Loud Pipe Perspective

My question is regardless of whether lane splitting is legal or not, isnt is hard to actually get caught doing it by anything other than a motorcycle cop, unless you are just being a complete ass about it. Yes, I am in California..and I do some ,on the face of it, idiotic things on my bike from time to time that probably ***** drivers off; however, most of it is just for plain safety.
rmdower is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2005, 11:32 AM   #42
pudlepirate
Registered Member

Default Re: Look at me Perspective

a six houndred supersport is far less of a beginers bike than my 955 triumph speed triple, for starters they make very similar peak hp and unlike the triumph the i4 screamers make it like a lightswitch, coupled with lightweight and superman handling this is a recipe for disaster, a true beginners bike may be more along the line of a 500 ninja, or the variety of 250 standard/ cruiser types. perhaps a dual sport thumper, while tall, they are light, easy to handle and have friendly engine charecteristics.

While I agree that very few people need, much less can effectivly ride a modern liter bike, we live in america, land of exess, land of the 8 passenger suv, fully equiped with the single occupancy comuter, 60 in. tvs, pasenger sedans with over 250 hp and a top speed of 140 mph, sport cars with 400+ hp why would motorcycles be any diferent? why do I have a liter class motorcycle?, I don't particularly like to shift like a f1 car, I would rather just roll it on, and the occasional power wheelie past the country club is cheaper than a visit to the shrink and in my opinion much more fun than talking about my mother..
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:45 AM   #43
tsrzad
Registered Member

Indeed; I once almost caused a pile-up in Florentine rush hour by trying to stop for a red light. It was amazing: chaos at 40-50 kph dense urban traffic, scooters everywhere, 3 lanes squeezed out to 6; and I'm the one who almost caused the accident in my rental Skoda trying to follow traffic laws (but not 'rules', obviously). I leartned very quickly that I needed to go with the flow.

Incidently, that's also how motorcycles stay safe; not by following the rules exactly, but be reading the action, interpreting, and reacting intelligently, even if not legally.

I live in CA, so lane splitting (or lane 'sharing' as my peace and love traffic engineer buddy with an oilhead Boxer calls it) is legal, but I get the sour face thing, too. Jealosy? I'm sure that's in the mix along with frustration, ignorance, and plain old pissy attitude. I use judgement always; I don;t always take the split, and almost never over about 35 mph. I find it a bit spooky when somebody splits at 60-70-whatever; why bother? And for the record, I've seen the 'hooligan' thing just as much on hogs as rice rockets; the main difference is the speed....

I say ride smart, be courteous in a rational manner, and seek the flow of traffic, not the letter of the law or what you think ought to happen. No matter who is 'right', we will always lose a face off with a car.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:55 AM   #44
rpt
Registered Member

yeap.

sad but true.
rpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:02 PM   #45
rpt
Registered Member

Here in Portugal, lane spliting is tolerated, except with continuous line. Cages are mostly friendly (they weren't a few years ago, but that's mostly gone now), and, with narrow lanes, smaller cars, same bikes (without harleys) we go along together fine.

Well sometimes sh%&* happens...
rpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 01:12 PM   #46
Hutchinator
Founding Member

A.) I don't have a problem with SUVs, I have a problem with people who can't properly drive them. A minivan can be just as bad! My truck's gas bill is high enough, thank you. And I wouldn't trust national healthcare; have you seen the military's?

B&C.) Agreed.

D.) I know I'm alone with this, but I again put it in the hands of drivers, not the tool itself. For a breif 'What was that turn', or 'Hey, hit traffic, be an extra 15' doesn't bother me. If you ban this, you might as well bann GPS since people would be looking at the map for thier next turn and not looking at the road. Both take the same about of attention for me.

E.) Ignoring laws you don't agree with makes you part of the problem. That said, I think lane spitting should be legal, but with limits such as 'cannot exceed traffic flow by 10mph' or something to that effect for safety reasons. Back in CA I've seen too many times someone just cut over in stop and go traffic without looking, and seen many bike fly by going 20-30 over. Luckly, have yet to see both in the same event, that could get messy.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:38 PM   #47
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

mesoglea just ignore longride. He does the same stupid argument everytime. You are doing the right thing and are reducing your risk of injury in case of accident. longride is part of the baby boomer Gray Pony Tail Brotherhood that sees helmets as a freedom thing . I call it a freedumb thing... Hey you wouldn't go into combat without a helmet and I wouldn't go rockclimg, ski, rollerblade or bicycle without a helmet. Great post mesoglea
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 01:47 PM   #48
Fenton
Founding Member

Don't for get the shower KP, most accidents happen in the shower. Giro makes a fast drying helmet you can wear in the shower and it should be dry by the time you ride that Schwinn Varsity to work.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 01:52 PM   #49
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati slogan...

Oh the sound of chisels being drug around in a burlap sack. I tried to get that as my first dance at my wedding. Love It!
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 02:14 PM   #50
eojmo
Founding Member

I don't think it matters a damn what bike you ride or how noisey it is ,most cagers seem to get pissed off when you lane split.They hate to sit in traffic and let a bike rider get ahead of them,or get to close to thier paint work.It makes them nervous and angry.I've lost count of the number of times cagers have closed the gap in slow moving traffic or accelerated away from the lights and pushed me over into the next lane.They even get pissed off when you park your bike in a paid car space when there's no dedicated motorcycle parking bays available.Lets face it,most of them can't think outside thier comfortable little boxes.
eojmo is offline   Reply With Quote