Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Loud Pipe Perspective (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/3113-loud-pipe-perspective.html)

MOwings 11-10-2005 09:30 AM

Re: Loud Pipe Perspective

Yes, we have seen the enemy and they is us! Stupid behavior will always get you noticed and will always result in either a frown or a smile depending on the situation and the individual. I'm constantly frowning and shaking my helmeted head at car drivers but there aren't enough of us shaking our heads for cagers to notice. When people start taking driving/riding as serisously as they should things will turn around, but I don't see it happeningn anytime soon. We have to police ourselves before government does it. How to do that I don't know. Peer pressure I guess. And speaking of loud pipes, can we please start cracking down on loud mufflers on cars which way outnumber the number of loud bikes out there.

mesoglea 11-10-2005 09:37 AM

As children, we are taught to look for cars before crossing the street. As adults, we wont notice bikes because we are taught improperly from childhood.

Ask random people "What do you look for before crossing the street?" Most will answer cars.

gas_pig 11-10-2005 09:48 AM

Because in Cali it's lawful. Get the law changed in your state and then perhaps the cagers won't be so pissed. When I was down at MotoGP this summer I lane split a lot. It was new (to me) and I really enjoyed it. By no means did that mean that I kept on doing it once I came back home to Washington. I see people do it here occasionally and it does ***** me off a bit. They're making a bad name for riders and it's only going to end up bad at some point since the cagers don't expect it.

Of course I've been known to pass some slow @ss in a Camry on a double yellow so I guess I'm no better.

mesoglea 11-10-2005 09:57 AM

Informing a fellow rider that they are doing something negative within our community usually invites a fight. Tell a cruiser rider his novelty helmet is a toy, useless and illegal. Tell a sport rider their wheelies make us look bad. Tell any motorcyclist that they should wear better gear.

Even if you are tactful, most will be upset that you infringed on their territory while being 100% correct.

After repeated flak, attitude and foul words those people only learn by the law and injury. The "It wont happen to me" theory is in full effect.

Many die hard stunters could care less about another riders opinion about the law and the ramifications of breaking them (FTP) or the newest Victory. Some cruisers don't want to hear hard evidence that a helmet can save your life or that Honda has a V5.

The majority of MO users appear to be much more mature and educated than some of the other sites. This site is middle ground because it caters not to a specific group, but all aspects of the two-wheeled world. We may flame and bash but we come back for the intelligent posts and the logical reviews of all makes/models. This furthers our knowledge of the motorcycling world.

Tigercub 11-10-2005 09:59 AM

Thanks for a proper perspective on US driving. Driving on freeways has been likened to schools of fish.

I would argue that lane splitting doesn't impede any cars progress. First off, there is the occasional single-occupancy car in the carpool lane that upon seeing my headlight moves over for fear that I'm a cop. Second, that the flow of traffic is totally a function of the number of cars, trucks etc. There aren't enough bikes at any time to impede traffic through lane-splitting reckless or otherwise.

Our arrogance does us in. It's part of our culture and if you ride a motorcycle or live in Iraq, you're just going to have to deal with us. Hopefully, we eventually move on to other interests and let people be.

longride 11-10-2005 10:00 AM

Re: Look at me Perspective

If you are that hung up on safety, just drive a car. The bigger the better. Can't beat a 5 star crash rating with a stick! I'd say you need to grow up and stop riding motorcycles. Since I just told you to do that, you must listen, of course.

03zx12r 11-10-2005 10:05 AM

The state of New York allows lane splitting as long as traffic is stationary. I did not appreciate the authors remarks about "flyers" as I am one who is over 30 years old, a lifetime AMA member and I do realize I am not immortal. I am aware-thats why I go to track days and spend most of the summer months at the drag strip running sub 10 second quarters at over 140mph. Don't catagorise people like this.

mesoglea 11-10-2005 10:23 AM

Re: Look at me Perspective

OK, longride this is to you:

Many military members ride motorcycles and will continue to do so. We know that you are about 20 times more likely to get into an accident on one. There are military members that work in some of the most dangerous environments in America every day. That's not just combat with bullets flying either. Riding a bike is nothing compared to the job some perform daily for less than half of what their civilian counterpart is paid.

Its part of my job to ensure, to the best of my ability, that they are educated, informed and held accountable to the laws (both military and civilian) and their actions on and off the base. Nine Marines/Sailors have died in motorcycle related accidents since the beginning of October. We had a Sailors son die last month because he was stunting without a helmet.

Ever lose a friend from an accident? Was there something that could have prevented it? Could you have done something? If so, why didnt you?

Safety might be trivial to you. Its not to me or the military. Accidents don't happen, they are caused.

Through training, we can reduce mishaps and save a life. That life could be a mother, father, son, daughter, husband, wife, ect. That doesn't matter.

We take care of our own.

Haird 11-10-2005 10:39 AM

Re: Ducati slogan...

Or a Ducati.

Longshot92 11-10-2005 10:55 AM

does ny(c) really allow lane splitting? i ride in the city, and frankly, some of the roads are so narrow that you'd be an idiot to try, there just isn't enough space between cars. most of the fdr, for example. and i have to bend my mirrors in when i split, even on reasonable roads, but maybe that's just because my mirrors are particularly wide (sprint st).