Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-10-2005, 06:26 AM   #21
sgjarvis
Registered Member

Default Re: Loud Pipe Perspective

I moved to the US three years ago from the UK and learnt to ride here... I couldn't believe that MC's actually stopped in congested traffic like a car - what's the point of riding a bike if there's no advantage to the increased risk?

The obvious thing to me is the difference in attitudes - I was taught to drive a car with an awareness of bikes and to expect them to split lanes during heavy traffic. I didn't get pissed off about it 'cause they had the advantage - if you drive a car and don't like waiting then excercise your options!

Further, driving a car didn't mean defending my position to try and upset as many other roads users as possible - get in, get going and chill out - most Europeans are thinking at least four cars in front and for the most part try and give and take to make the journey easier- I've seen little evidence on either coast that says that happens here and to counter your discussion, have seen more cars lane swerving at excess speed, than bikes splitting during congestion.

Car drivers shouldn't raise objections because of a perceived disadvantage or a "self, self, self" attitude - cars will not go quicker by blocking bikes or lane transition zones, so what's the harm in letting two wheelers through - if you're stuck, you're waiting... let them go and smile!
sgjarvis is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2005, 06:27 AM   #22
mesoglea
Founding Member

Default Re: Look at me Perspective

I also feel that we need tiered licensing for all vehicles but that is another story......
mesoglea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:33 AM   #23
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: Look at me Perspective

Agree. There are so many issues in that post it's hard to pick just one (got a feeling others might take note of a few). I now HAVE to have a T-shirt with that statement! If I ever meet this person I'm going to tell him "If you know what's Smart for you you'll give me your Money, Guns, Booze and Women!"
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:55 AM   #24
Tigercub
Founding Member

Take away thier bikes and they'll ride those 2-stroke scooters sold at the hardware store.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:48 AM   #25
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: Ducati slogan...

When I think lo
Old 11-10-2005, 07:50 AM   #26
mesoglea
Founding Member

A) Nice idea but the public would have a meltdown. That would also open the door to taxing everything as they see fit.

B) You have my vote!

C) Not bad. Make DUIs a felony and hammer them, no exceptions.

D) Again, you can count on my vote. I do agree that the lawmakers and politicians care only for votes and money.

However, you splitting lanes illegally is setting a bad example and contributing to the bad image of riders.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:50 AM   #27
Spurge
Founding Member

Agree with b, c, and d. A better solution to SUV traffic would be to increase gas guzzler tax rather than put poor people at greater hardship every time they fill up their tank. Many rich folks will keep their SUV's at 4$ a gallon.

Do European countries limit cell phones to hands free only (like NY) or completely ban any conversation? The hands free only rule has been shown to be complete BS; a driver's attention span is equally diminished and accident just as likely
Spurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:59 AM   #28
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Great, started to post, thought better of it (didn't want mesoglea to think I was raggin' on him) pushed OK instead of X and now think I should finish it. When I think of Loud Clutches I think of a certain Italian manufacturer of fine Motorcycles. "LOUD CLUTCHES SAVE LIVES", a Ducati t-shirt no?
Old 11-10-2005, 08:03 AM   #29
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Take away the bird baths and the dirty birds will be everywhere....!!!
Old 11-10-2005, 08:17 AM   #30
mesoglea
Founding Member

No worries! I'm just not a big Duc fan. A dry clutch is fine but they sound like a fork in a garbage disposal.

This is a post about motorcycle safety that applies to all riders. The flaming will happen and its all in fun anyway.

As the Motorcycle Safety Officer for my command and I take it seriously.

Honda says, "Stupid Hurts".