Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-04-2005, 07:06 PM   #1
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: Now for Something Completely Different!

How about a Biodiesel rotary?

Bring Back Turbos?

Good topic.

How about motorcycles with adjustable bars, seats, and pegs.

Blue Tooth Heads up display and communication system.

rear view display cammera

sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2005, 07:27 PM   #2
rmdower
Founding Member

Actually, I would like motororized or hydraulic controlled handle bar height/distance control ala a high end carseat. Maybe joystick controlled. Seriously!
rmdower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 07:35 PM   #3
mhosch
Founding Member

Sure.... we need all this gimmickry about strange, sake inspired engine configurations because we're clearly bored with motorcycling.

If you can't find something inspiring in the realm of todays bikes, with everything from 1 to 6 except 5, then you need to move on to something different, such as skydiving.

The new daytona 675 looks to be a much better example of thinking outside the box, using things we've seen, ie., 3 cylinders, sportbike riding position, edgy triumph styling to give us an absolutely unique choice on the supersport plate.

You guys worry about your 60 degree V-6's, I'll just try to pick the right bike from the incredibly strong crop out there these days.

mhosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 07:36 PM   #4
mhosch
Founding Member

Me too! It already looks like the 675 daytona riding position will be too severe.
mhosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 07:47 PM   #5
Badkat
Founding Member

I like the diesel klr concept. It seems a good step towards different

Now, a rotary would be nice, though they tend to be inefficient. I would like to see some experimentation with suspensions.
\'03tuono;7/11KAT;IBA#10456
Badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 08:01 PM   #6
jimmihaffa
Founding Member

I don't see any manufacturer adopting an exotic engine configuration unless that same engine could be the basis for application in an entire line of bikes, to wit Kawasaki's Vulcan 2000 series...and even that is your standard 60deg V. In fact I see the opposite trend evolving, more along the lines of a common engine platform as a way of keeping costs down...bike prices are already beyond the reach of many and I doubt the paying public would absorb the R&D costs of building a sound exotic engine.
jimmihaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 09:27 PM   #7
rmdower
Founding Member

Biodiesel would be rad. Could you imagine having your fries as doing your part for nature and national security. McDonald's could become totally neocon. Eat more fries and protect the American homeland.
rmdower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 10:26 PM   #8
jjasper
Founding Member

Something different would be people trading in their hyper-sport bike that they can't even come close to riding or their ton-and-a-half monster cruiser for small fuel efficient standards and enduros and they ride most of the time instead of treating their bike like a toy.

Manufacturers then put R&D into utilitarian but fun bikes, so you get a 250lb, 450cc twin, with 70hp that gets 60+mpg and someone 5'10" can flat foot but handles like a supermoto. Has switchable heated grips and seat, accessory socket, optional hard luggage, CVT transmission with manual control, Buell like belt drive, non-linked ABS brakes, underbody exhaust, comfy all-day seat, and could be ridden in the rain for a year without any rusting.

Aka, take the Derbi 50cc supermoto, cram the Aprilia small twin in there, uses the latest and greatest materials for everything, have BMW gadgets and comfort and a Buell style exhaust and belt drive. Lastly have Lotus like engine efficiency.

Give me that and I would spend every penny I have to get it and would be happy to have the best commuter around.

As far as high-tech engines go it looks like the Japanese are betting on hybrid and hydrogen engines, good or bad. Personally if people bought normal bikes the manufacturers could spend their R&D money making them more efficient without having to switch fuel types. My 650CS gets 60mpg so I KNOW there could be a lot of improvement there without getting too fancy. But would people give up their wang extensions for something normal and utilitarian, I doubt it. They feel they need a liter class torture rack or 2300cc 700+lb two wheeled boat to be a man.
jjasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 12:47 AM   #9
Zakman
Founding Member

What we need is the MOTORCYCLISTS to be the ones who think outside the box. The motorcycle MANUFACTURERES aren't the problem, it's the motorcycle buying public. They all follow like sheep. High school & college age kids who have to buy the 600 or 1000 inline four sport bike or the mui macho cruisers both are completely predictable. If you want to break away from such a predictable pattern you have to buy in a much less predictable manner. Now we have squids who buy crotch rockets and tear around the streets displaying their lack of control of themselves like some badge of honor. Try showing the control you have in a corner at high speed and then rapidly jamming on the brakes as you maintain the exact same line thru the curve as you would have without braking. Go to a trials event and see what true control of a motorcycle is about. Buy a motorcycle with a decent rear seat so that when you get someone to put on the back she can enjoy riding with you. You won't have to stop a life of motorcycling before it begins because you and your girl and the motorcycle can't all spend the day together. Buy something comfortable fore and aft. Then learn how to ride two up almost as fast a you can solo. If you want an example of what people should be buying for their first street bike go the this website:

http://www.honda-motorcycles.co.nz/R...R250_Intro.htm
Zakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 12:51 AM   #10
Somnus
Founding Member

The overall theme in your ideas is interesting. The bike should adapt the rider, not so much the other way around -- "plugging in," rather than "piloting."

I understand much of the fun of riding is achieving the zen of melding the flawed man and cold machine into one, but that's weighed against friendliness to increase the margin of safety and comfort in the real world.

Take it to the extreme:

* Rotary motor with adaptive CVT

* Eschew gauges -- all HUD

* Fully adjustable ergos

* Engine based traction control and ABS

* Adaptive braking servos

* Adaptive suspension?

What would it take to make a bike more like your own two feet?

Somnus is offline   Reply With Quote